Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard and the chance of deployment?

I am considering joining the national guard. Mostly because of tuition assistance (I have 40k to pay off once I graduate next spring), but also because they have a position locally that is within my skill set and something that I want to get into as a career. That and also I really think I could benefit from boot camp and the paid training they put me through.

However, I don't want to be killing people. I would hate to have to fight in combat. So, what are the chances that I'd be deployed?? Some say its nothing to worry about. Others have said that when you join the guard you are not your own and they can put you anywhere they want to put you. My dad is especially concerned, he says that he thinks that as we move closer into a one world type setup, they can put me anywhere on the planet as laws and regulations change, countries unite, etc. etc.

Not sure what to believe. I would really appreciate some clarification.

Re: National Guard and the chance of deployment?

You can expect to deploy at least once in a 6 year enlistment.

Comment

No matter what anyone at the unit, or in the National Guard, "guarantees" you, you sign your independence away for those six (or three) years when you join the Guard.

I was told that the unit I joined wouldn't be deploying for "at least three or four years" and I left 8 months after finishing BCT and AIT. Alot of it is chance, based upon an unknown future.

There have been plenty of non-Combat Arms MOS-qualified Soldiers that have engaged the enemy overseas. It's just a reality you need to prepare yourself to face if you join.

Looking back at these last six years, the risk far outweighed the reward.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Combat Action Badge recipients according to Wikipedia. This is given to any non-infantry MOS.

68,706 in OIF (as of June 6, 2012)
        37,879 in OEF (as of June 6, 2012)
        3,828 in OND (as of June 6, 2012)

Comment

Originally posted by shgadwa View Post
          However, I don't want to be killing people. I would hate to have to fight in combat. So, what are the chances that I'd be deployed??
          Out of my first six years in the National Guard, I spent 21 months in a combat theater of operations. 12 of those months were spent on missions that involved enemy contact on a semi-regular basis. I enlisted as an 88M, which is the truck driver MOS.

So the answer to your question is that if you join any component of the Army (to include the National Guard), you are a rifleman first. Everything else is secondary. You need to be prepared --mentally and physically -- to engage in combat against the enemy. You should not enlist if you have any hesitation about doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            Combat Action Badge recipients according to Wikipedia. This is given to any non-infantry MOS.

68,706 in OIF (as of June 6, 2012)
            37,879 in OEF (as of June 6, 2012)
            3,828 in OND (as of June 6, 2012)
            I fall under OIF for mine and that amount is significant. Who thinks we should of went with a ribbon like the Marines?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              I fall under OIF for mine and that amount is significant. Who thinks we should of went with a ribbon like the Marines?
              I second the ribbon vs CAB. The idea of the CAB was good, particularly since the initial idea was for the combat arms MOS' to have something to recognize thier direct combat involvement along side the infantry. In particular the 13F, 12B and 19 series. This makes the most amount of sense if the war is conventional, but since we have not really fought on a conventional front since the very begining of OIF I, it tends to be a moot point.

I don't like the CAB because its given away like candy to some people that should never have rated the badge, you would think having a patch on the right shoulder would have been good enough. Oh well.

Comment

The CAB should have never been created. It diminishes the prestige of the CIB and CMB.

Comment

Let's get back on topic. The OP is hesitant to join because he or she does not want to serve in direct combat. I have already given my opinion, which I am confident many of you share.

Comment

I agree with the statements that even if your unit has been deployed recently there is a chance you could go sooner than the recruiters tell you. I was just told today that the unit I will be signing with tomorrow will be returning from deployment in Afghanistan in January and that I should be able to avoid a couple years of deployment after getting done with AIT. But I'm not putting much faith in this. I'm prepared to go when called. And you should be too if you're going to enlist.

Comment

agree with all above replys, all im waiting on is a medical waiver on my hearing and i'll be shipping to Fort Benning as a 11B/11C. The thing that he/ she needs to realize is that it's not a matter of if you get deployed but of when you'll be deployed. Agree with the above statement of if you have any hesitation on being able to engage in combat against the enemy, then the military regardless of what branch you so choose, and the "perks" of the National Guard, the military is not the right choice for you. Because it's not just your life on the line, it's also your units

Comment

Originally posted by shgadwa View Post
                        I am considering joining the national guard. Mostly because of tuition assistance (I have 40k to pay off once I graduate next spring),.
                        Please don't join. Honestly, it was your choice to incur this debt and now you want to join the Guard not to serve your country or to give back but because you want to pay off debt that you chose to take on. How can you live the Army Values if your number one reason to join is money?

Comment

After thinking about it more, I tend to agree with nss, in that motivation for joining should be out of love and service to your country, and your community. The money, or gi bill, or bonuses, they're all great and whatnot, but if it is primarily a motivation attributed to your financial situation, you could be very miserable on the inside. Six years is a long time to be miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                            You can expect to deploy at least once in a 6 year enlistment.
                            I know there is no predicting the timing of a deployment, but is there any average duration? Does it vary according to MOS? My boyfriend is in OSUT at Benning for a 19D MOS, and has a 6yr contract. I know it wont be just the once a month and two weeks in the summer, but I really have no idea what to expect. I am with him all the way, no matter what (and after 6yrs together, I mean that), but I am a planner, and so I want to mentally ready myself for this "adventure in my relationship" (as a Naval Academy mom put it for me).

Sorry if I bungled any terms or acronyms; I'm new at this!

Comment

My spouse met me after I did an active tour in the Marine Corps. She was a National Guard wife first and now a regular Army spouse for nearly nine years. The "adventure" is truly experienced on the active side. You will have a lot of "quality" time with him. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X