X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go to join for MP field

Im seriously considering joining the National Guard. One Field really caught my attention which was the Military Police field. I saw a video that this guy was apart of this particular field and he was going to college to major in criminal justice. I really want to do the same I just dont know where to go to get more information on the field or where to join in Oregon. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Re: Where to go to join for MP field

Originally posted by Mathew View Post
    Im seriously considering joining the National Guard. One Field really caught my attention which was the Military Police field. I saw a video that this guy was apart of this particular field and he was going to college to major in criminal justice. I really want to do the same I just dont know where to go to get more information on the field or where to join in Oregon. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
    That is one of the most useless college majors. If you wanted to become a police officer, they will teach you all that CJ material in Academy or BOLC. If you somehow are injured in the course of your law enforcement career, a criminal justice degree is not going to be much to fall back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
      That is one of the most useless college majors. If you wanted to become a police officer, they will teach you all that CJ material in Academy or BOLC. If you somehow are injured in the course of your law enforcement career, a criminal justice degree is not going to be much to fall back on.
      Do you recommend Political Science or this?

http://www.medaille.edu/sage/online-...eland-security

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post

I cannot say definitively. I think a lot of it depends on what you want to pursue. Based on what I have seen for those who major in Political Science or Homeland Security is that their work experience becomes much more important than the actual degree. In other words, I know I'm not really answering your question. I'd rather not compare two items of that I know almost nothing about.

For a lot of federal hiring, the level of education plays an important factor in many cases unless you're talking about agencies that fall under "excepted service" such as the FBI, etc.

Comment

I think either of those degrees will limit you to jobs that only require "a" degree. Neither program of study will teach you any actual analytical skills. I personally don't see the point in spending years getting a bachelors degree that doesn't involve actually learning how to do new things. Math, computer science, or engineering will require you to learn and apply new skills and the job market rewards those who hold such degrees commensurately.

If it is a gov't job you're looking for then I imagine either one would suffice because they're not actually looking for any skills associated with the degree, but rather the fact that you have one. The one advantage to the Poli Sci degree is that it's a decent starting point for law school. But the three technical fields I mentioned are far superior courses of study in all regards. Just my $0.02.
          Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; June 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

You can start the process by filling out the Pre-Qualification form at http://www.NATIONALGUARD.com/car?cid...1_web_20120517 and you will be assigned to a local recruiter.

Comment

going to college to major in criminal justice
              Please don't do this. Polo is right. Many LE agencies love people with accounting or foreign lauguage degrees. You don't need a CJ degree to be in LE, but there also isn't very much else to do with a CJ degree. This is why there are countless amounts of job hunters in the world right now....make smart decisions.

Comment

I recommend none of the above. Homeland security...really? Not a job out there that requires a degree in homeland security.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  I recommend none of the above. Homeland security...really? Not a job out there that requires a degree in homeland security.
                  Perhaps.

OP, I always tell people to be rational but at the same time, pick something that YOU are interested and makes you happy. Many AD career officers have "not so glamorous" degrees and have moved up the ranks in fast track (below the zone) speed.

My degrees are in IT but I worked in Law Enforcement for many years. When I first applied in the 80s, you just need a high school diploma; now many required two years of college or two years of military service or maybe a bachelors (FBI).

Currently, I know many AD soldiers (enlisted and officer) that are taking the bachelors/masters homeland security program. Many soldiers that are ACAPing are applying for the border patrol (I was a border patrol agent in the 90s and Army MP in the last decade) and other services.

Here is a link to a .gov website on Homeland Security.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/ooq/2006/summer/art01.pdf

Think for yourself. It is your future. We just provide advice but its not an end to a means.

Comment

Perhaps.

OP, I always tell people to be rational but at the same time, pick something that YOU are interested and makes you happy. Many AD career officers have "not so glamorous" degrees and have moved up the ranks in fast track (below the zone) speed.

My degrees are in IT but I worked in Law Enforcement for many years. When I first applied in the 80s, you just need a high school diploma; now many required two years of college or two years of military service or maybe a bachelors (FBI).

Currently, I know many AD soldiers (enlisted and officer) that are taking the bachelors/masters homeland security program. Many soldiers that are ACAPing are applying for the border patrol and other services.

Think for yourself. It is your future. We just provide advice but its not an end to a means.
                    We have been down this road....

Yes many officers have Bachelor Degrees in Arts and Crafts, but the only requirement is a degree. Take that to corporate america and you are in trouble. Yes you could technically be a cop with that too, but why wouldn't you go for something beneficial that can be used. LE agencies love Accounting, Chemistry, IT, and so fourth....useful majors that allow you to work in LE or gain meaningful employment.

Comment

You tell people don't do something based on something you havent done or know but you think they should do because you wouldnt do it.

I just say; "hey, look at your options and just make yourself happy but this advice is not true based on my experience and what I know".

I am 46 years and been around the block more than once. Take it from a "real" expert. lol

You think I try to force everyone into this "formula" for LE and that is far from the case. I dont.

Like I said, I dont have degrees in LE but in the IT field. I been getting paid real well since 1991.

Comment

You tell people don't do something based on something you havent done or know but you think they should do because you wouldnt do it.

This is an assumption, and is somewhat off the mark. You don't know my entire background.

I just say; "hey, look at your options and make your happy but this advice is not true based on my experience and what I know".

This is what creates college graduates with 50K in loans that will work at walmart. Things are not the same today as they were when you were planning your life.

I am 46 years and been around the block more than once. Take it from a "real" expert. lol

You might as well just tell people they can do anything they want if they put their mind to it.....right

Comment

I think you should look at a major field that you will enjoy, that you feel passionately about. After all, you will be paying a ton of money for it most likely. I understand the opinion that a degree other than CRJ like accounting may be more beneficial on paper, but will it be beneficial to you personally? Only you, the OP, can decide on such a subjective opinion. I have a BA degree with majors in BOTH Criminal Justice AND Homeland and Corporate Security from St. John's University and if I could go back, I would absolutely do it exactly the same. What I learned there is invaluable and incredibly helpful. Could you join an LE agency with any degree? Sure - but you will be more knowledgable about current global CRJ issues, you will have experience in the field before anyone else via internships and hands-on training, and consequently, you will be more likely to be a leader in the field with a CRJ education. I wouldn't trade my CRJ degree for a law degree, MD, Accounting, or any other degree.

I'm not saying you should major in CRJ - I'm saying you should do something you will love. Don't invest your time and money on a piece of paper, invest it in the education you're going to receive. Find a subject you're passionate about (whether it be chemistry, pharmacy, CRJ, accounting, theology, or whatever) and you will be a good scholar and a happy person. Successful leaders love what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by NY ARNG Woodard View Post
                            I think you should look at a major field that you will enjoy, that you feel passionately about. After all, you will be paying a ton of money for it most likely. I understand the opinion that a degree other than CRJ like accounting may be more beneficial on paper, but will it be beneficial to you personally? Only you, the OP, can decide on such a subjective opinion. I have a BA degree with majors in BOTH Criminal Justice AND Homeland and Corporate Security from St. John's University and if I could go back, I would absolutely do it exactly the same. What I learned there is invaluable and incredibly helpful. Could you join an LE agency with any degree? Sure - but you will be more knowledgable about current global CRJ issues, you will have experience in the field before anyone else via internships and hands-on training, and consequently, you will be more likely to be a leader in the field with a CRJ education. I wouldn't trade my CRJ degree for a law degree, MD, Accounting, or any other degree.

I'm not saying you should major in CRJ - I'm saying you should do something you will love. Don't invest your time and money on a piece of paper, invest it in the education you're going to receive. Find a subject you're passionate about (whether it be chemistry, pharmacy, CRJ, accounting, theology, or whatever) and you will be a good scholar and a happy person. Successful leaders love what they do.
                            Let's frame it differently. If you major in CJ, you may be able to find employment in law enforcement. However, if you cannot find employment in law enforcement, you are probably not going to find employment at all. No one except the military and law enforcement agencies sees any value in that degree. If CJ is your passion and you decide to go for it, that's fine -- as long as you do so with an understanding of the limits your chosen program of study places on your ability to find employment when the fun scholarly college days are over.

The bottom line is that the private sector is not looking for people with CJ degrees. They may be looking for other attributes that an applicant has in addition to a CJ degree, but it is not that degree that will get them hired. However, there are degrees -- again: math, computer science, engineering -- which can literally take you from "zero" to "hero" just because you possess the credential. Sure, study what you love...but know that doing so may come at the risk of working for 12 bucks an hour, while the practical folks are making a decent living and are consequently able to spend all their free time (of which the 12/hr guy has naturally little) doing the things they love.

And let's get realistic about government jobs. We are running a huge deficit, and there is reason to believe our little house of cards may come crashing down in the next few decades. Guess what that means? Massive cuts in government spending/services and, of course, the jobs of those supplying said services. So it's completely irresponsible at this point to target a career specifically in gov't, and anyone who does so and finds themselves out of a job deserves it. Nothing but the cold, hard truth, man.

Could you join an LE agency with any degree? Sure - but you will be more knowledgable about current global CRJ issues, you will have experience in the field before anyone else via internships and hands-on training, and consequently, you will be more likely to be a leader in the field with a CRJ education.
                            This is a very bold assertion. What exactly are "global CRJ issues" anyway? What is the correlation between knowledge of these issues and likelihood of being hired? I would be surprised if there really was a strong correlation of that sort.

I do not work in law enforcement, but I imagine just about all the applicants they have to review have some sort of CJ or HS degree. I don't see a compelling argument for studying something that is extremely common in the one, single, solitary field in which it is valued and has absolutely no use outside of that field.
                            Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; June 25th, 2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Currently, I know many AD soldiers (enlisted and officer) that are taking the bachelors/masters homeland security program. Many soldiers that are ACAPing are applying for the border patrol (I was a border patrol agent in the 90s and Army MP in the last decade) and other services.

Those days of AD career officers moving up the ranks quickly are long gone. Its easy to get promoted quickly when the military is rapidly expanding to meet required strength levels for two separate conflicts. Moving forward, the Army is going to look to trim anywhere it can and those who possess (or don't possess) specialized skills are more likely to be retained.

Without a doubt, the FBI is the most selective federal agency. They are very specific in what they are looking for and "just" a Bachelor's is not going to cut it. It may for those other agencies such as the DEA, ATF, etc. that often have 20,000+ applicants, but the FBI is known to send a "thanks but no thanks" letter pretty quickly. Realize that if anyone wants a career as a special agent in the FBI, you are competing against candidates with a combination of Masters degrees in Engineering/Computer Science, JDs, and MBAs/CPAs, foreign language proficiency, and previous special operations (or combat arms) experience.

Interestingly enough, the FBI considers those with a CCNP or CCIE under the CS/IT track. In other words, it is as good as a BS CS/EE to them because their investigations deals primarily with service providers.

Computer Science/Information Technology
                              To qualify under the Computer Science/Information Technology Entry Program, you must have a computer or information technology related degree, a degree in Electrical Engineering, a Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification, or a Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert (CCIE) certification. Applicants that qualify by virtue of a CCNP or a CCIE certification must also have a BS or BA degree in any discipline.

Wow, NY ARNG Woodard. This post is filled with terrible advice. Are you high?

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                              Let's frame it differently. If you major in CJ, you may be able to find employment in law enforcement. However, if you cannot find employment in law enforcement, you are probably not going to find employment at all. No one except the military and law enforcement agencies sees any value in that degree. If CJ is your passion and you decide to go for it, that's fine -- as long as you do so with an understanding of the limits your chosen program of study places on your ability to find employment when the fun scholarly college days are over.

The bottom line is that the private sector is not looking for people with CJ degrees. They may be looking for other attributes that an applicant has in addition to a CJ degree, but it is not that degree that will get them hired. However, there are degrees -- again: math, computer science, engineering -- which can literally take you from "zero" to "hero" just because you possess the credential. Sure, study what you love...but know that doing so may come at the risk of working for 12 bucks an hour, while the practical folks are making a decent living and are consequently able to spend all their free time (of which the 12/hr guy has naturally little) doing the things they love.

And let's get realistic about government jobs. We are running a huge deficit, and there is reason to believe our little house of cards may come crashing down in the next few decades. Guess what that means? Massive cuts in government spending/services and, of course, the jobs of those supplying said services. So it's completely irresponsible at this point to target a career specifically in gov't, and anyone who does so and finds themselves out of a job deserves it. Nothing but the cold, hard truth, man.

This is a very bold assertion. What exactly are "global CRJ issues" anyway? What is the correlation between knowledge of these issues and likelihood of being hired? I would be surprised if there really was a strong correlation of that sort.

I do not work in law enforcement, but I imagine just about all the applicants they have to review have some sort of CJ or HS degree. I don't see a compelling argument for studying something that is extremely common in the one, single, solitary field in which it is valued and has absolutely no use outside of that field.
                              Actually, even law enforcement does not see value in a criminal justice degree as they teach everything you need to know in police academy.
                              Last edited by Polo08816; June 25th, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X