X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women in Combat Arms

I was reading something in USA Today about a law going to congress to allow women closer to combat. If it goes through, will it just like mean try can work at Battalion level or that jobs like Infantry, Cav, Combat engineer,Artillery will be open to them? Just curious, I hope to join someday and that would be a big jump between now and then. I couldn't really find my answer. Thanks.

Re: Women in Combat Arms

There was a big debate about this in the news section a few weeks ago, try tooking in there.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
      There was a big debate about this in the news section a few weeks ago, try tooking in there.
      +1. These types of threads usually devolve quickly too...

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
        Well I was looking for more like facts over like points in someones argument lol

Comment

There are no facts. Just opinions and what our congress will decide for the future of combat arms jobs. Women are now working on submarines and doing other outside the wire jobs. Many posters here provide valid reasons on both sides of the debate.

Again, search and engage an already open thread than creating a new topic on the same subject.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...combat-050212/

Comment

I read that women are now going to the Infantry Officer School

Comment

Originally posted by FaryJ View Post
              That is correct. They'll be present in B. Co. on the next iteration at IBOLC according to a recent IBOLC graduate. My understanding is that these are already BOLC qualified female officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                That is correct. They'll be present in B. Co. on the next iteration at IBOLC according to a recent IBOLC graduate. My understanding is that these are already BOLC qualified female officers.
                I thought the Marine Corps were the test pilot for that; not the Army. New news to me.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...combat-050212/

And I think it is a good lithmus test. Many tend to argue that it is best to test at the enlisted level but if a female could handle the officer level (which many consider harder); then the rest should fall into place.

Here is the catch-22 from the Marine's General

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...s-webb-042512/

Comment

That is incorrect.

https://forums.army.mil/SECURE/Commu...spx?id=1745764

Comment

Originally posted by FaryJ View Post
                    Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    What exactly are you referring to that is incorrect?

I read the PDF: http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/ad2012_11.pdf

At what point in this document does it say female officers will or will not attend IBOLC? Based on my reading, this document only states that women may serve in staff positions in select infantry battalions.

We have two LTs currently at IBOLC. Showstopper_999 was the messenger, but we have another one that will be there long enough to confirm whether female officers are present at IBOLC.

Comment

At what point in this document does it say female officers will or will not attend IBOLC? Based on my reading, this document only states that women may serve in staff positions in select infantry battalions.

We have two LTs currently at IBOLC. Showstopper_999 was the messenger, but we have another one that will be there long enough to confirm whether female officers are present at IBOLC.
                      LT, read this article again

BILLETS FOR WOMEN AT BATTALION LEVEL

The eligible specialties opening up for women at battalion level are:
                      10 for officers:
                      • Adjutant general, 42B
                      • Chaplain, 56M
                      • Chemical, 74A
                      • Field artillery fire support officer or effects coordinator, 13A
                      • Logistics, 90A
                      • Field surgeon or medical platoon leader, 62B
                      • Military intelligence, 35D
                      • Medical operations, 70B
                      • Signal, 25A
                      • Physician assistant, 65D
                      6 for enlisted:
                      • Human resources sergeant and senior HR sergeant, 42A
                      • Chemical noncommissioned officer, 74D
                      • Supply sergeant and senior supply sergeant, 92Y
                      • Intelligence sergeant, 35F
                      • Health-care sergeant and health-care platoon sergeant, 68W
                      • Radio re-transmission supervisor and communications section chief, 25U

Compared to the Marine Corps which will have women attend their infantry school; the Army will just open MTOE positions (not females that will become 11 series) to these units. When I was combat arms (combat engineer) in the NG, the line unit I was in (Company) up to BN had no females. Not even in the support MOS (e.g. clerk, motor pool). The article is just saying that those positions are now being opened to them. Nothing to do with IBOLC or any combat MOS at this time. If that is the case (same for when they test piloted Warrants for BOLC courses); I will like to see some digital pics of these female IBOLC students.

Honestly, I think Show might be pre-mature in his statement because nothing had hit the main stream media as of yet when it comes to the Army; only the Marines. And like the Corps General stated; completion of the infantry school does not warrant them the 03xx MOS designator. Just like I earned my Germany shooting badge but I cannot wear it.
                      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 26th, 2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        LT, read this article again

BILLETS FOR WOMEN AT BATTALION LEVEL

The eligible specialties opening up for women at battalion level are:
                        10 for officers:
                        • Adjutant general, 42B
                        • Chaplain, 56M
                        • Chemical, 74A
                        • Field artillery fire support officer or effects coordinator, 13A
                        • Logistics, 90A
                        • Field surgeon or medical platoon leader, 62B
                        • Military intelligence, 35D
                        • Medical operations, 70B
                        • Signal, 25A
                        • Physician assistant, 65D
                        6 for enlisted:
                        • Human resources sergeant and senior HR sergeant, 42A
                        • Chemical noncommissioned officer, 74D
                        • Supply sergeant and senior supply sergeant, 92Y
                        • Intelligence sergeant, 35F
                        • Health-care sergeant and health-care platoon sergeant, 68W
                        • Radio re-transmission supervisor and communications section chief, 25U
                        I read that part initially. I don't see how that contradicts what was said prior.

Nothing explicitly says that they will NOT be retrained. I will defer to what I have heard from those LTs who are actually at IBOLC.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                          You are incorrect.

I've just received confirmation from three LTs in different companies at IBOLC currently that there are, in fact, female officers at Fort Benning and in IBOLC as students.
                          Last edited by Polo08816; June 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Female MPs have been doin it for years...lol

Comment

An interesting perspective.

http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/a...-created-equal

Comment

Working...
                              X