Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother of 2, Thinking of joining the Guard.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother of 2, Thinking of joining the Guard.

I am a 22 year old, married, mother of 2. I am thinking of joining the Guard for a number of reasons, but I'm not sure if it is the right decision. I am not really worried about my husband and children, we have an excellant support system(parents & siblings), and have been away from each other before (my husband has worked off before).I have just started looking into it, and sont know much about anything. I would like to know an actual estimate on how long i will initially be away for, the differant kinds of jobs i could apply for, and what the pay scale and benefits would be.
    I would like to join the gaurd because i feel like i need some discipline in my life, i would like to do something my family can be proud of, i want to serve my country, i would like to go back to college, so i can actually have a career, and alot of other more personal reasons. Any and all advice would be welcomed! Thank You!

Re: Mother of 2, Thinking of joining the Guard.

I am in the process of joining myself! You will initially be gone for 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training plus you will be gone for a varied amount of time for AIT , or job training, which depends on the MOS you choose. Wish you all the best!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    SPETER12

Comment

Speter12 is correct! BCT is 10 weeks and AIT will depend on what MOS you want to train for. If you share your top picks, I can give you a better idea of how long your training will be.

As far as your pay is concerned, that will depend on what rank you enlist in as. For an E1 with less than 4 months Time In Service (TIS), the Base Pay for FY12 is currently $1378.80. For more information, I would recommend speaking to your recruiter as there are other variables to consider.

Comment

The main website has a pay calculator that can give you an idea.

http://www.nationalguard.com/benefits/guard-pay

Comment

RyCass, I am thinking of going into the business/administration MOS. I have never been in Service before, so I guess that E1 is where I will start out. Is that pay a year, or monthly? Like I said before, I dont know anything about any of this, so I just want to get a general idea of everything before I talk to a recruiter. Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            The main website has a pay calculator that can give you an idea.

http://www.nationalguard.com/benefits/guard-pay
            This is not currently up to date; though it should be soon!

Comment

Originally posted by amylynne View Post
              RyCass, I am thinking of going into the business/administration MOS. I have never been in Service before, so I guess that E1 is where I will start out. Is that pay a year, or monthly? Like I said before, I dont know anything about any of this, so I just want to get a general idea of everything before I talk to a recruiter. Thanks everyone for the help!
              OK! Let me help you narrow it down even more by directing you to the National Guard website. There's a list of all the Administrative positions they offer. Take a look: http://bit.ly/NkDIDx. Pick a couple of these, and I can tell you how long their AIT will be.

As far as pay per drill weekend, let me break it down a bit more for you. My previous post might be a little confusing if you don't know how the pay works. If you were to attend drills as an E1 (we'll assume over 4 months), you could expect to make $198.80 before taxes.

If you have some education, you may qualify for a higher rank. Here's what I mean: http://bit.ly/M6Szjn

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Comment

Working...
              X