Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

    I'm 18, just graduated from High School. Can't remember my ASVAB score, I took it last fall, it was either a 96 or 97 I think. I am currently in an EMT-B course (heard that EMTs get a fast tracked AIT for medics, would like confirmation), I'm an Eagle Scout so I would get a bump in rank to PFC if I join. I passed the DODMERB, which I am told can be used in place of the MEPS physical for the reserve branches including the Guard, although I did have to get an appendectomy 3 weeks ago, that is my only medical problem, I don't know how that would effect joining, I had no complications and I got clearing by the doctor to do everything on Friday. Ideally I want to be a flight medic but I realize I might (probably) won't get that as an entry level medic.

  • #2
    Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

    I don't know how it is in Rhode Island, but medic slots are hard to come by in Utah. I strongly suggest getting the ball rolling if your recruiter can lock you in if that's what you want to do. I had a hernia operation years prior to signing on. I didn't need a waiver, I just went to the hospital and pulled the surgical notes and any comments from my physicians to prove I was healthy. Best advice is to prove you want to join and walk into a recruiter's office.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

      Originally posted by Conor Fallon View Post
      I'm 18, just graduated from High School. Can't remember my ASVAB score, I took it last fall, it was either a 96 or 97 I think. I am currently in an EMT-B course (heard that EMTs get a fast tracked AIT for medics, would like confirmation), I'm an Eagle Scout so I would get a bump in rank to PFC if I join. I passed the DODMERB, which I am told can be used in place of the MEPS physical for the reserve branches including the Guard, although I did have to get an appendectomy 3 weeks ago, that is my only medical problem, I don't know how that would effect joining, I had no complications and I got clearing by the doctor to do everything on Friday. Ideally I want to be a flight medic but I realize I might (probably) won't get that as an entry level medic.
      What do you mean "fast track" for EMTs? Are you asking if you can by-pass some of the training at AIT? To my knowledge, the answer is no. You would still be required to complete all the training regardless of your civilian acquired skills. Ultimately, your recruiter will be able to give you more details on your requirements and what slots will be available in your state.

      With your appendectomy, you should be just fine. It's a common procedure that should not affect your future physical fitness once you've healed. I agree with the previous advice in that you should keep all your medical documents handy just in case.

      Good luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

        This is the fast tracking I was referencing, apparently the first 6 weeks are NREMT stuff, and if you already have it you are good to go.
        http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...AIT-Fast-Track

        My appendectomy was quite recent, less than a month ago, but there were no complications.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

          Originally posted by Conor Fallon View Post
          This is the fast tracking I was referencing, apparently the first 6 weeks are NREMT stuff, and if you already have it you are good to go.
          http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...AIT-Fast-Track

          My appendectomy was quite recent, less than a month ago, but there were no complications.
          OK! I learned something new! I did a little more digging on the CASP program and learned that 68W fast track program is still available. Here's what the DA PAM 611-21 SMARTBOOK said about this option:

          "(a) Health Care Specialist (MOSC 68W1O): Soldiers will be accelerated 6 weeks in the course if they hold: (1) Current certification for National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT), NREMT-B, NREMT-Intermediate or NREMT-Paramedic. (2) Current American Heart Association (AHA) certification for Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers with at least 12 months remaining from the start of the course. Depending on determination of their certification expiration date/s, Soldiers will be accelerated to the next available class beginning in the Invasive Care Module. State EMT certification or license will not be considered. (3) The Department of Combat Medical Training EMT-B Medical. Director or his designee will verify certification through the National Registry."

          Hopefully this is helpful!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

            Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            OK! I learned something new! I did a little more digging on the CASP program and learned that 68W fast track program is still available. Here's what the DA PAM 611-21 SMARTBOOK said about this option:

            "(a) Health Care Specialist (MOSC 68W1O): Soldiers will be accelerated 6 weeks in the course if they hold: (1) Current certification for National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT), NREMT-B, NREMT-Intermediate or NREMT-Paramedic. (2) Current American Heart Association (AHA) certification for Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers with at least 12 months remaining from the start of the course. Depending on determination of their certification expiration date/s, Soldiers will be accelerated to the next available class beginning in the Invasive Care Module. State EMT certification or license will not be considered. (3) The Department of Combat Medical Training EMT-B Medical. Director or his designee will verify certification through the National Registry."

            Hopefully this is helpful!
            Thanks! That is very helpful.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

              You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

                Do you know if the job openings listed are accurate? This one is literally 5 minutes away from my house.
                http://jobs.nationalguard.com/ngb/di...195.754&page=1

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Thinking about enlisting as a medic - Rhode Island

                  Originally posted by Conor Fallon View Post
                  Do you know if the job openings listed are accurate? This one is literally 5 minutes away from my house.
                  http://jobs.nationalguard.com/ngb/di...195.754&page=1
                  That's a question you'll need to ask your recruiter. My guess is that, if it's still posted, there's still something available and worth looking into. But that's an opinion at best.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X