X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reality of 11B

Hey guys. Im thinking about joining the guard as an 11B. I was wondering if anyone that was an 11B could give me their opinion and review of this mos (do you regret choosing this mos, did you enjoy it, whats it like, etc). I also have thought about 68W or 35F but I cant decide. I want the real version of 11B from the view of someone who was there. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Re: The reality of 11B

They are the tip of the spear. The rest of us are just varying degrees of support. Do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      They are the tip of the spear. The rest of us are just varying degrees of support. Do it.
      +1. NJ has 6 O-6 commands. I believe 4 of those are occupied by O-6s that have Infantry as their basic branch. The 2 other O-6 commands are Aviation and MEDCOM.

As for the enlisted side, I've seen slower promotion for 11Bs because of the strength levels, however, many E9 slots (even in support BNs) are occupied by those who hold the 11B MOS.

Basically, it boils down to this "possibility": Promotion through the mid-range may be slower for Infantry, but the promotion potential is greater.

Personally, if I did not branch Infantry, I'd probably find myself wanting to do many things forbidden by the Army. Most NJ Infantry officers will tell you that the culture of the branch is very different than a support unit. Contrary to popular belief, rank means far less in an Infantry unit than most would believe. You will see sub-par/incompetent higher ranking officers get publicly humiliated by lower ranking officers and enlisted. Many officers from support units that are not used to this would probably cry and go home. Your competence and abilities mean far more than the velcro rank you wear on your chest.
      Last edited by Polo08816; June 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I think 11b's are the salt of the earth. They are vulgar, do exceedingly well on their physical fitness test, and are the type of people who you'd want to go into battle to protect this nation. It's definitely a different environment than most other types of units.

On the other hand I thought rifles were cool until I saw the artillery. 13b....

Comment

I think you're asking about enlisting as a 11B, not branching as an Infantry Officer. If this is the case, 11B is probably the most challenging and prideful MOS in the Army. It really all depends on what you want out of the National Guard. If you're looking to be challenged, have a great time then by all means, go 11B. If, on the other hand, you're looking for something to build your resume and make you more "marketable" in the civilian world, look at 68W or 35F if you qualify.

Comment

Its a tough but rewarding job. You have to keep physically and mentally fit. You will train until you are exhausted and keep going until you get it right. You will get dirty and stay dirty for days(or longer). Sleep in the woods or desert or swamps in all kinds of weather. Ruck for miles and miles with a ton of equipment strapped to you. You will become proficient in many skills. Weapons, patrolling, vehicles, combat lifesaver to name a few. Vulgar? yes by all means. I don't think there is any topic off limits to the 11B. Crude bunch for sure. If you have a weak stomach or are offended easily you wont fit in well. Its a great job and I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

Comment

Awesome. Thats just what i needed to hear. Thanks to all of yall. Hooah.

Comment

Originally posted by speter12 View Post
                Awesome. Thats just what i needed to hear. Thanks to all of yall. Hooah.
                they are right, you better not get all butt-hurt when someone yells at you, or else you wont last.

on another note, I was talking to my 1sg today, and he was telling me about how one of his NCOs from when he was an e4 explained the army as "POG mos's are assigned different tasks, and get good at the task, and when it is done, it is done. The infantry deals with people, and leading them, meaning even the most simple tasks have the opportunity to become full blown missions, depending on the situation"

This last drill, we flew in helicopters, did full scale raids with sim rounds, and stayed out in the woods for 4 days, and that was considered normal. You will know you truly belong in the infantry if you get done training, get to your unit, band up with others in your paygrade, and complain about how horrible it is that you are stuck outside doing stuff over and over that seems pointless, then when you get home, you couldnt imagine doing anything else and finding any fulfillment in it.

Comment

Working...
                X