X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of joining - 34, teacher, coach, married with son

As stated above I'm am 34 in a week, and teacher, coach, married with son.

I have a Master's Degree in Education.

I am thinking about signing up, I live in Kentucky, closest unit is 1 mile away from me in West Virginia.

Suggestions, questions I should ask recruiter etc?

Re: Thinking of joining - 34, teacher, coach, married with son

A little more information would be helpful. You say you are thinking about signing up, so what would make you actually sign up? What would make you not sign up?

What is the experience that you hope to have as a soldier?

Forgive me if the following sounds harsh. Because you have a degree, you are eligible to enlist as an officer candidate. However, unless you truly feel the calling to be a leader of soldiers, I cannot advise you strongly enough against this option. I know that emotions and sentiments can be difficult to convey via text, but your post indicates a great deal of hesitation. This is not the stuff of an officer candidate; those seeking a commission should be motivated by the strongest of convictions. If you are still deciding what role (if any) you want to play in the military, I recommend that you join as an enlisted soldier first. In time, if you feel the calling to become an officer, you may pursue that option.

The above is not meant as an insult; when I joined I was 18 and very immature and, to be honest, I was motivated primarily by the desire to pay for college. But my first deployment changed all that -- big time.

Let us know which MOSes you are considering. If you don't have any preference, I would recommend a combat arms MOS such as infantry (11B or 11C). Because you have a family, you need to be sure that you are prepared to leave them behind for a year or more at a time for deployments. If you have any specific questions just ask. Lastly, I wouldn't let the proximity of a unit be the sole determinant in your choice of an MOS. If the unit near you is a quartermaster company, for instance, I don't recommend choosing a quartermaster MOS just to drill with that unit.

Comment

How do I sign up for the special forces in West by gosh Virginia?

Comment

It's all about what YOU want.

Do you want to look back on life when you grow old and say "I shoulda" or would you rather tell your children "I did"? 35 is the new age limit so you shouldn't delay to long. Give a recruiter a call, see if you qualify and take it from there.

As far as questions to ask the recruiter, if you have student loans, there are programs in place to help repay them. Look into OCS (Officer Candidate Program) and do some research into any fields (MOS's) that might peak your interest.

Best of luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CBDV View Post
          As stated above I'm am 34 in a week, and teacher, coach, married with son.

I have a Master's Degree in Education.

I am thinking about signing up, I live in Kentucky, closest unit is 1 mile away from me in West Virginia.

Suggestions, questions I should ask recruiter etc?
          If you're looking for some general information, I would highly recommend taking a look at the National Guard website. It can answer the most common questions new recruits have about enlisting: http://bit.ly/KiXcZo.

Based on your education, jwarren is correct in that you do qualify to enlist through Officer Candidate School (OCS) enlistment option. While it is important that you are certain this route is a good fit for you and your goals, please don't let the challenges discourage you! Being a teacher requires you to be a leader, so you likely have more experience than the average recruit. If you want, I would say go for it!

If you have specific questions about enlisting, please share! I'm more than happy to help. There's also a wealth of information here on the Forum as well with a lot of experienced members. Good luck with your decision

Comment

CBDV, I PM'ed you.

Comment

Working...
            X