Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
On post schooling for school age children Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • On post schooling for school age children

    My spouse asked me if this was available through NG, I couldn't remember excatly, but I wanna say no. Is that right?

  • #2
    Re: On post schooling for school age children

    Unless there is a state program or regional opportunity, it is very unlikely that you would find a school on a National Guard base as traditional NG Soldiers only drill one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. As such, having a school available for their children is primarily an issue Active Army families face.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: On post schooling for school age children

      Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      As such, having a school available for their children is primarily an issue Active Army families face.
      Proud Army brat here.

      RyCass summed it up.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: On post schooling for school age children

        Rgr...I was referring more to , if we lived near a post that had a DOD school located there , is that what you are meaning by regional opportunity?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: On post schooling for school age children

          Originally posted by inquiring View Post
          Rgr...I was referring more to , if we lived near a post that had a DOD school located there , is that what you are meaning by regional opportunity?
          Yes, that is an option. However, from my understanding, DoDEA is primarily for military families that are in the process of transitioning, as in changing duty station. Unless you're transitioning TO the National Guard, traditional Soldiers just doesn't have that issue. Here's their website if you're wanted to contact them anyway: http://militaryk12partners.dodea.edu...?colId=liaison

          What I had in mind was more up the lines of summer "camps" hosted by local volunteer Soldiers, Junior ROTC, or some kind of FRG events. Honestly, you'll just need to do some research on the state level to see what kind of activities are available for children.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: On post schooling for school age children

            Originally posted by inquiring View Post
            My spouse asked me if this was available through NG, I couldn't remember excatly, but I wanna say no. Is that right?
            If you are part-time in the Guard/Reserve, then the answer is no.

            http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=149

            Eligibility:

            DoDEA determines the enrollment and eligibility policy. Dependents of Army National Guard Soldiers are not eligible to participate in the DoDEA school systems. However, Soldiers in the AGR program are generally afforded eligibility if they meet the following requirements.
            For Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS), Army National Guard Soldiers on Federal Active Duty are eligible to send their dependents to DDESS schools if the Soldier is active on title 10 or title 32 orders for one year or more and living in permanent housing on base or on the housing list. In the DDESS schools on US territories, Soldiers do not have to live on base in order to qualify but do have to be active status on Title 10 or 32 for 1 year or more consecutively.
            For Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS): Army National Guard Soldiers on PCS orders are eligible for space required, tuition free schooling. Soldiers on TDY orders of 180 days or more may attend on a space available, tuition free basis.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: On post schooling for school age children

              Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              If you are part-time in the Guard/Reserve, then the answer is no.

              http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=149

              Eligibility:

              DoDEA determines the enrollment and eligibility policy. Dependents of Army National Guard Soldiers are not eligible to participate in the DoDEA school systems. However, Soldiers in the AGR program are generally afforded eligibility if they meet the following requirements.
              For Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS), Army National Guard Soldiers on Federal Active Duty are eligible to send their dependents to DDESS schools if the Soldier is active on title 10 or title 32 orders for one year or more and living in permanent housing on base or on the housing list. In the DDESS schools on US territories, Soldiers do not have to live on base in order to qualify but do have to be active status on Title 10 or 32 for 1 year or more consecutively.
              For Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS): Army National Guard Soldiers on PCS orders are eligible for space required, tuition free schooling. Soldiers on TDY orders of 180 days or more may attend on a space available, tuition free basis.
              Awesome link! Thanks for sharing. This explains the DoDEA more concisely.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: On post schooling for school age children

                Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                Awesome link! Thanks for sharing. This explains the DoDEA more concisely.
                You very welcome. Just trying to provide a relevant response.

                Comment

                Working...
                X