X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have to go to battle?

Do you have to go to battle like the army does? Because i want to be involved in the guard and helping victims of hurricanes and maybe help on bases for the war but i do not want to be out on the frontlines or be in battle. So i was just wondering if you must do that or not?

Re: Do you have to go to battle?

When federalized, the Guard goes to war just like the active component. Perhaps you should look into your State Defense Force.
    Last edited by matthew.ritchie; June 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM.

Comment

NG2013, the following is the Oath of Enlistment. This is what you are sworn to do.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (STATE NAME) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God.

There's just about every civilian job available in the Army and then some, from vetinarians and lawyers to plumbers and cooks. Some jobs are more likely to see combat than others, but you are first and foremost a SOLDIER ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States. That being said, if you are completely opposed to combat, I would not risk putting yourself in a situation where you would have no choice in the matter (ie joining the military). As LTC Ritchie said, most (all?) states have a Defense Force or a disaster response agency that may be more in line with your desired experience.

Comment

Originally posted by NY ARNG Woodard View Post
        As LTC Ritchie said, most (all?) states have a Defense Force or a disaster response agency that may be more in line with your desired experience.
        But they do not cut you a paycheck, pay your school and provide other benefits.

Comment

That is the problem with the majority our young people in our country. You want to reap the benefits of Uncle Sam but will be afraid to fight for a cause or even to put yourself in harm's way from something that you might not understand.

Besides the local militia; this is probably more up your alley

http://www.scouting.org/Volunteer.aspx

Comment

If you are afraid of bodily injury or death on the field of battle keep in mind there are many ways to die back home. If you are morally oppesed to war, the military is most likely not for you. I did not enlist hoping to go to war, but ready to do so. And a polite stab at fmcityslicker. I am a member of that generation and I'm paying off my student loans on my own and I bought my firsthome at 21. I joined to be a better person and to serve the people of this nation. Don't lump us all with the slackers, you may be suprised by our drive and heart.

Comment

Originally posted by NG2013 View Post
              Do you have to go to battle like the army does? Because i want to be involved in the guard and helping victims of hurricanes and maybe help on bases for the war but i do not want to be out on the frontlines or be in battle. So i was just wondering if you must do that or not?
              Well...the boy scouts are always looking for a few good men....or boys.

Comment

Thanks bro. My sentiments exactly... I am seriously thinking of joining up for that reason and have no problems with putting myself through whatever pain and suffering it takes to do so, although serious injury or death is something many people can speak bravely about but no one really wants to consider it, as it means the end of one's opportunity to make a difference and change things, whether in one's own life or in others. I think most people just hope that if their end is to come it will be quick, and with a sense of accomplishment. Those people who join up to be the biggest, baddest killing machine aren't joining for the right reasons in my opinion, unless they plan to never return to the humanity they have taken a duty to protect.

Comment

Originally posted by foxx0021 View Post
                  .......Thanks bro
                  Bro?...........

Comment

In all fairness, the individual asked the question before he signed anything and took any money. He has also asked the question quite plainly, so he has a clear understanding of the requirements. I have no problem with people who weigh the requirements of service and make a conscious choice to stay out (as long as they refuse to complain about their own choices later in life). As long as someone is asking the question before taking money, I have no disrespect for them.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                      In all fairness, the individual asked the question before he signed anything and took any money. He has also asked the question quite plainly, so he has a clear understanding of the requirements. I have no problem with people who weigh the requirements of service and make a conscious choice to stay out (as long as they refuse to complain about their own choices later in life). As long as someone is asking the question before taking money, I have no disrespect for them.
                      Well said, LTC Richie! That is exactly why the forums are available, so that everyone can ask questions without ridicule.

Comment

Part of being a Soldier is being prepared for whatever the mission calls for. That's why everyone is trained in not only combat but in their specialty. While there's no guarantee if or when you would get deployed, it's a possibility you should accept if you're considering enlisting. Check out these Soldier's stories for some inspiration: http://bit.ly/NwCqX2.

Comment

Shucks, I thought thats why everyone joined, to go to battle that is. thats the best part of the Army.

Follow Me!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X