X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi in kuwait?

Im headed over within a month or so, going to Ft. Bliss in a few days....

Trying to decide on getting an iPad or a laptop to use while Im over there.... How's the wifi or will I need to pay for internet while Im there?

Re: Wifi in kuwait?

I have not been in Kuwait for a couple of years (I used the free MWR computers there) but I am on a FOB in Afghanistan that has free Wi-Fi at the USO and we could also pay for internet (Sniper Hill) that has wired and wireless connections. Different prices for different speeds.

http://www.sniperhill.net/

Comment

Hey,

I'm currently at Buehring right now. Do you know where you will be going?

As far as internet at Arifjan and Buehring, there are 4 ways you can go. The first, which a lot of people do is buy Qualitynet. It's wireless internet around all housing and public areas on post. You can buy it by the day, week, 2 weeks or month. For a month, it costs $34 a month. I used it for the first couple months here and I will say it is a pain. It is hard to connect to the access point and the service is really slow. You can only log on to one device at a time. You can log out on one device and log in on another.

The second option is mobile broadband through Wataniya. It's a USB dongle that costs roughly $90 for the stick and you can buy plans from 500MB/month to 10GB/month. I currently use this service and buy 5GB/month for $42 a month. I never have problems connecting and I rarely wait for pages to load. I would recommend this if you want decent internet. I currently have my iPod Touch here as well. I create an ad-hoc network with Linux (it can be done in Windows too) so I can connect to the internet on my laptop on Touch. The only downside is to connect and create an ad-hoc you will have to have a PC. I've heard there are USB routers than you can plug into, but don't know for sure.

The third option, which I don't know too much about is have a contractor buy some kind of router in Kuwait City. Some Soldiers in another company do this and between 15 or so people, pay $8 a month each. I've heard really good and really bad reviews, but never actually used it myself.

The last option is to use the MWR or USO internet tents at no cost. The MWR provides computers. The USO does as well but also has wireless around the USO tent here at Buehring. Sometimes it's lightning fast, sometimes not. A lot of people around Buehring buy their own internet.

If you have any other questions about internet or Kuwait in general, don't hesitate to shoot me an IM.
      Last edited by 11BSoldier; June 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Supposedly Arifjan is where we will be..

is the paid internet fast enough to stream movies?

Comment

If you use Netflix; it does not work because you do not have a stateside IP address but you can purchase a proxy service to do so. I did that in Germany. I have not over here since Haji movies cost 1 dollar lol. I saw Prometheus last night and was very disappointed.

Comment

fmcityslicker is correct. With a Kuwaiti IP address, Netflix and other streaming services are blocked. Youtube is good to go. There are many options to mask your IP address. Like previously mentioned, a proxy service is a way to go. I would look at using Tor Browser. Top notch web anonymity. Plus it's completely free. The only downside is it does slow down your connection by connecting through proxy servers.

Arifjan isn't too bad. They have a pool, NICE fitness center, good DFAC. Complete opposite of Buehring.

Comment

It is hot as a mofo but I will take that now and days then heading up north to Afghanistan. It is very hot over here now in Afghanistan (I am in JBAD). I remember thinking I was very hydrated in Kuwait and still almost passed out.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 9th, 2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

BAN HAMMER activate!

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                  BAN HAMMER activate!
                  That was one of the more cleverly disguised ones. They're getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                    We *really* need a BanHammer member... bwahaahaahaaa!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                      You have to see the ones with the Sarah Palin avatar

Comment

Working...
                      X