Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male on Female Sexual Assault during deployment

Hey guys!

I was so gung ho about joining the Ohio National Guard and possibly doing ROTC at the same time. I love all of the great people i've met through ROTC. But, it just came to my attention that there have been recent lawsuits about military **** and coverups. I understand that **** is a possibility in any profession or walk of life, but I don't think I could join any institution that doesn't take the ********** of it seriously.

That's why I was so upset to hear about cover-up stories, and cases in which the female victims have beed diagnosed with a mental illness and dismissed while their aggressors walk free of charge.

I'm not asking people to sugar coat things. I want to hear people's honest opinion/experiences on the subject. I understand that "****" can have a fuzzy definition when alcohol or flirting is involved--but that's not what i'm talking about here. I'm a smart girl. those situations are avoidable. I'm talking about unprovoked ****/sexual assault during deployment or in the barracks or something--which i've been reading too many stories of.

Re: Male on Female Sexual Assault during deployment

It goes both ways. Sometimes the women are crazy, sometimes they are not. Sometimes the men are crazy, sometimes they are not.

Remember where you are reading these sources, also. Unfortunately, the attackers are SOMETIMES never caught. Unfortunately, also, the women are making up the story. It's hard to tell whats true or not without evidence.

P.S - If this thread goes sour, the ban stick will come out. Keep this on topic.

Comment

In 7 years of working in the Army legal field, and 12 years total time in service, I can personally say that I have never, and I mean NEVER have seen one single incident of a substantiated rap3 or sexual assault case. I have however seen dozens and dozens of made up stories though.

We are a unit organization in that males and females are sometimes with each other almost every day. I mean working in the same office, at the same events, and (the one that really makes us unique) is living together. Deployments, training, tents, barracks...we are with each other all the time. This raises the opportunity for unfaithful spouses, jealousy and a little drama....which in turn creates fairy tales.

Comment

allie

As a female who has done the 'college thing' as well as being in the military, there were many more instances of assault that I knew and heard of in college. Does that mean one shouldn't go to college? No, of course not. Does hearing about a few stories that may or may not have happened mean that you shouldn't enlist or that if you do it will happen to you? NO, of course not.

There's not enough paper in the world to write stories about all the good, honorable and even ordinary, dull soldiers and $ex sells so of course the 'exception to the rule', few scandals there may have been are what is splashed across the front page of a military news rag. I had the same articles 'brought to my attention' by the nay-sayers who wanted me scared and didn't want me to enlist.

Yes, it may have happened, it happens at college too, it happens period. Should you stop living your life based on what ifs? Take it with a grain of salt and stay motivated and focused.

Comment

Battle Buddies!!!!
          Males will protect themselves when another can account for them. Women protect themselves when another is present. And try not to sleep with your battle buddy, anyone involved in an office "fling" can testify that work gets real bad when things go south.

Comment

Originally posted by Highwind View Post
            Battle Buddies!!!!
            Males will protect themselves when another can account for them. Women protect themselves when another is present. And try not to sleep with your battle buddy, anyone involved in an office "fling" can testify that work gets real bad when things go south.
            What is funny about the battle buddy thing (always have a friend with you)...is that you don't really need to do this to stay safe. You need to do this to prove that the BS complaint against you is..well, BS.

Comment

In nearly 10 years of working both military and civilian law enforcement, true "stranger rapes" rarely occur. This is where the vicitm doesn't know the perp. Most commonly, they both know each other and the victim (both male and feamle) was put into a compromising position (usually alcohol involved). As long as the victim makes a report to law enforcement, it is not swept under the rug. Now proving it in court is another matter.

As far as lawsuits, IHMO, are more based on technical issues that would have made no difference in the case if still done correctly.

Highwind made the best point about always having a battle buddy (again both male/female), especially in an area you're unfamaliar with.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                In nearly 10 years of working both military and civilian law enforcement, true "stranger rapes" rarely occur. This is where the vicitm doesn't know the perp. Most commonly, they both know each other and the victim (both male and feamle) was put into a compromising position (usually alcohol involved). As long as the victim makes a report to law enforcement, it is not swept under the rug. Now proving it in court is another matter.

As far as lawsuits, IHMO, are more based on technical issues that would have made no difference in the case if still done correctly.

Highwind made the best point about always having a battle buddy (again both male/female), especially in an area you're unfamaliar with.
                I always make the best points.

Comment

Sadly; in every professional, there is sexual assault towards women. Working at Wal-Mart, NYPD, etc. It is just seems beyond belief when it happens to women in the military not only during deployments but it has happened in garrison; even at drill. But it also happens to males as well. women on male sexual assault and male on male sexual assault.

Just like many said; it is awareness, taking care of yourself (battle buddies) and doing the right thing.

I guess this recent movie that I have seen trailers and on the news lately has probably sparked this post.

http://invisiblewarmovie.com/

EDIT: Adding the link that I saw in the Stars and Stripes recently.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/docum...nials-1.179411
                  Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 6th, 2012, 04:17 AM.

Comment

This is reassuring. I accept that rap3 happens, but I was just more concerned with stories of unit commanders not taking the cases seriously, which would of course only worsen the problem and lead to more cases. A battle buddy is a must, but i wonder how possible it is to always have someone around you. This is just partly because i know nothing about deployment life; sleeping arrangements, being on watch, "free" time (does that even exist?, and etc. Or if MOS plays a large role in deployment life

Comment

Thanks everyone for taking this post seriously and responding respectfully. I know it may seem unimportant when there's actual war going on, but it's a big deal to me. Danger at the hands of the enemy is something you come to terms with, danger at the hands of your fellow soldiers--people you are supposed to consider family-- is something entirely different. I'm feeling much more reassured and I realize that the media can definitely magnify a problem. Still worth looking into, though.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
                      Favorite quote, I don't think it applies to any of you though lol

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        I always make the best points.

lol...yeah...especially when "highwind" made that same point right before you.

Comment

I am on my third deployment totaling now 28 months deployed and ones that have been mostly accused of these type of attacks are local and foreign nationals. Yes, servicemembers have been found guilty but they are not of the highest numbers. I think the ones in the videos will probably depict SM on SM assaults and probably be focused in a narrow scope.

Comment

I wouldn't let a few news stories of the EXCEPTIONS dissuade you from joining the Guard.

Jumping into the time machine, I was an Marine investigator during Desert Storm. Joe and Josephine decide to brew up some homemade hooch. One thing led to another, and they later were involved in consentual ***. Half way through the act Josephine sobers up a bit and tells him to stop. He doesn't. Consent was not present and she made a report. We rolled him up for the act of rap3 and a host of other charges.

The evening before his courts martial she was found in the BC's bunker having relations with another Joe. Command is all up in arms about her promiscuity and want the trial cancelled. It proceeded and he was found guilty.

In Iraq, a female SM claimed she was rap3d by a detainee. Turns out she had consentual *** with him THROUGH A CHAIN LINK FENCE! And became PREGNANT!
                            And claimed she LOVED HIM!!

Morale of the story - once it is reported it is thoroughly investigated. The V's (and Subject's) CoC and SJA have visibility of the reports as they progress.

The military is a cross-cut of society. There are folks out there who are wolves, and A LOT of people who are sheep. There are many programs and briefings for all Soldiers about SA, the warning signs to look for, and the many avenues in which they can report such activity. Awareness for all Soldiers has increased significanly in the 6 short years I've been in the guard.

"Tailhook" was just the begining...the old timers on here an attest to that I'm sure! (looking at you fmcityslicker!)
                            Last edited by Wobbly Emu; June 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X