X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting before BCT

First let me preface this by saying that I'm a 17 year old who just graduated high school last month.

Back in the Fall of '11 I made a decision to enlist without really thinking it all the way through.

I went to MEPS, got in, signed my contract and swore in.

Since that time I've attended several RSP drills.

I leave for BCT/AIT in about 5 weeks.

But here's the problem:
    I've realized that a career in the military is not at all what I want. I'm not anywhere near physically ready for BCT/AIT, and I'm definitely not ready for the 5 months away from my family and friends. I want to just go to college and get a job, and live a normal civilian life.

I can't do it.

Now I've heard varying things on this kind of situation, but now I need to know for sure:

Is it possible for me to get out the NG before I ship out to BCT/AIT?

Re: Quitting before BCT

Discuss this with your RSP Cadre.

Good luck.

Comment

Great advice from fmcityslicker.

Keep this in mind though Mike, nearly everyone before you has had the same doubts and fears, that they're not ready and can't do it. There have been hundreds of thousands before you and will be many following you that have done it, and I would bet many weren't as prepared as you are. The greatest benefit you have is RSP, you will have an incredible leg up on every Active Duty and Reserve trainee showing up for BCT. Don't make a hasty decision that you will regret for the rest of your life.

Comment

As mentioned above, you should use your RSP cadre as a support system right now. Letting them know about the areas you feel unprepared for will help them help you. BCT is going to be a challenge, but you'll surprise yourself on how much you can accomplish. Hang in there! One of the greatest benefits to being a National Guard Soldier is that you CAN have your civilian life while also serving.

Since you're heading out soon, be sure to check out the packing list: http://bit.ly/M4OWaq. Good luck!

Comment

I'm 22 and married. The first year of my marrige at age 18 scared the **** out of me. It felt a hasty decision. But I made a commitment and decided to tough it out. It changed me and made me a better person, more equipped to handle it and other aspects of my life. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you took an oath. Accept the hard parts. Soon you will find you are a better person. You will come out the other end strong. I am terrified of BCT coming up (I **** at pushups) but I know that by the end, I'll handle it. You will be amazed what you can accomplish and how rewarding the Guard can be. Just let the training shape you to sharp edge. The best advice my grrenhorn **** can give you is to communicate with your readiness NCO. Let your new family help you. Set PT goals. Focus on how awesome you will be instead of how difficult the path will be. Your brothers and sisters at BCT will share some of your struggles and have some of their own unique problems. Be proud of what you are doing. Don't quit on us and we won't quit on you. Don't be an oath breaker. Do put the Army values in your own life. Change from civillian to soldier. Push yourself. And if at the end of your enlistment you haven't found what you are looking for, don't make a career of it. But serve with honor. Many before us have paid in blood sweat and tears to pave the path for us. Also, remember the amazing benifits the Guard provides. You are setting up your future in serving your nation.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4442 View Post
            Is it possible for me to get out the NG before I ship out to BCT/AIT?
            Before you commit to failure, you may wish to peruse this forum. Note how many posts start with some variation on, "I joined when I was 18, had cold feet, so I got out of my obligation in an ungraceful manner. Now I'm 28, and I regret that decision, and I've got to put a tremendous amount of effort to regain what I threw away."

What would yourself from the future wish that you would have done now? Is he more likely to be glad or sad that you had an opportunity and threw it away for a less-than-compelling reason? Will your decision set you up better for success in the future? I've met far more people who regret getting out than regret staying in.

You aren't signing up for a career necessarily, because you're only serving a few days per month. You may also have the impression that drill weekend with your unit is like RSP. Once you get to your unit, your duty will be more collegial.

Comment

Boot camp is most intimidating when you're counting down the days before you go and up until you actually get there. Our fear of the unknown and the doubt within ourselves, while distracting...eventually wears off.

Comment

The advice given to you here has been excellent. You CAN certainly get out on an entry level seperation, but I will join the group sentiment that you truly should stick with it and see just how much you can do! This will be the biggest, most "real" experience of your life. Feeling anxiety is really normal. Hope we see you on the other side, rather than watch you head out the door.

Comment

If you ELS, every job that asks you if you have ever been discharged from the military other than honorably, you will have to say yes, which is not a good thing at all.

My own story..

I enlisted 11B as OSUT and around week 12 of OSUT I got hurt, and they were going to recycle me to week 3, which I couldn't do with school and stuff.. and honestly, after being there that long and failing, i didnt feel like doing it again. So, I tried to get out. The NG liasion told me he wanted me to become a split op, and just come back for AIT the next summer since I finished the BCT portion and I reluctantly agreed, suffered through another year of RSP, and then went back to Benning.

Don't get me wrong, going back to do what I had already done ****** worse than anything I have ever done, but when I finished and got my blue cord finally, I truly felt like I had accomplished something, not only to the army standards, but in my own life.. I stuck it out, and didn't give up, even when I got crushed the first time around.

Since then, i have been in 2 units, due to graduating from school, and recently got promoted up to SPC, and I have learned to balance the guard thing with my regular life pretty well. Sure, it is a hassle to go to drill sometimes when you have a lot of homework for a weekend, but you get through it. It sounds more like you just dont want to accept any responsibility than it does you dont want to be in the military. The NG, especailly for an E1, is really no more of a commitment than being at drill. And think about it, you will be getting paid more than most of your friends working part time jobs. Who cares if you go away for a few weeks to roll around in the dirt.. you will get in the best shape of your life, and make some good friends, all while learning what it means to be an adult, especially since you are only 17. Whatever you do, don't quit, I promise you it will make your life VERY difficult, especially in how bad todays economy is..

also, check with your state if you do still want to quit.. I know in VA, it is a criminal offense to quit before shipping to BCT, so not only would it affect your job eligibility, but you would also have a criminal record, which will not fly anywhere.

Comment

Yes you can get out but it won't be pretty. You will get a discharge that will make it difficult to re-enlist and will reflect the fact that you didn't fulfill your commitment.

Everyone is scared of change and commitment. Everyone gets that sinking feeling in their stomach when they aren't sure if they are making the right decisions for themselves. Don't think it's just you.

You need to really think this over before you decided what you want to do. Do not make a decision out of fear or anxiety.

In the end you need to look out for yourself so good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post

also, check with your state if you do still want to quit.. I know in VA, it is a criminal offense to quit before shipping to BCT, so not only would it affect your job eligibility, but you would also have a criminal record, which will not fly anywhere.
                      I'm not saying your a liar but could you please back that up with some proof? Maybe post a link? Something because I find that very hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                        I'm not saying your a liar but could you please back that up with some proof? Maybe post a link? Something because I find that very hard to believe.
                        Yes it is a criminal crime not to go to drill in VA.....you will be fined $250.

Comment

I quit in the Navy while in Basic training, the worst decision of my life. Never again will I quit.

I actually go to appear before the Navy Discharge Review Board next month to discuss my failure and perhaps change my narrative reason.

The sad truth is I may not become a chaplain because of it either (though I will attempt to reenlist no matter what). The decision you make will affect you for the rest of your life.

I know as a young person, there's a lot going on up there in your head, but don't quit! BCT is nothing to be scared about or nervous. In fact it would be so fun! Personally I would leave tomorrow to go to BCT.

You are so close to the beginning of the adventure. This is a journey you don't want to miss.
                          Last edited by Chaplain4me; June 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                            Yes it is a criminal crime not to go to drill in VA.....you will be fined $250.
                            No thats different thats being AWOL. What he is saying is that if you are able to quit and I am assuming that he means where you get an ELS before you ship to BCT where you are legally out of the service than that is a crime. That is what I am asking about.

Comment

Only a fool wouldnt have some level of anxiety about the decision to join the military before basic training. What you're experiencing is normal. I will echo what others have said... You don't even know what the guard is like and RSP, Basic, AIT, etc are poor examples of what your day to day life will be like once you complete training. I would be willing to bet you wont be anywhere near as dissatisfied with it if you chose to go that far. ANY sort of training status really stinks. Once you're in the "real" world though, its a different story.

Choose wisely. A few years of mild annoyance (at worst) is much better than a lifetime of wondering

Comment

Working...
                              X