Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployments!

Good Evening,

I hope you guys are having a splendid day and I appreciate your time taken to read this. Soon enough, as in within the next week or two, I plan on enlisting into the ARNG after a long waited waiver approval. The vast majority of my questions were answered by my recruiter, however I wonder whether or not anyone would be able to further answer my questions regarding deployments. My plan is to go to BCT + AIT back to back as most people do, then go on a deployment immediately if not within a 6 month time frame from returning to AIT. Is this possible? I would obviously be signing up / volunteering for one. I do understand the unit system and the red / green status, I just want to know volunteer deployment opportunities and how often this happens.

Another question if someone could possibly ask: If I go into a MOS that is an hour or two drive away, how hard would it be to move to a unit more nearby to my area?

Re: Deployments!

It depends on many factors and obviously your unit has to approve you to deploy. If your unit is slated to rotate downrange; then you got your wish. If you were my rank and mos; I will have you gladly switch with me

Comment

Is what you are wanting to do possible? Yes. Likely? No. BCT and AIT back to back yes that will happen. Deployment within 6 months I highly doubt it. There are a lot of factors in play with getting on another units deployment. The opportunities come up from time to time and I hear of opportunities at least once a year. There could be additional steps in some of those opportunities like IST to a different state for that unit.

If you want to deploy that bad and that quickly then why not go active duty Army for 3 years?

Can you change units to one that is closer to you? Its very possible provided there is another unit with your MOS and a vacancy in that MOS.

Comment

I agree with the above posts in that, in all reality, you may not be able to deploy as soon as you would like. To increase your odds, be sure to speak with your RNCO once you complete your training. They should have access to what units in your state are deploying soon and if your MOS is needed during those missions. If you are interested in getting more experience or an opportunity to make more money, you might also ask your RNCO of any schools you can attend while your waiting for a deployment to come up.

Comment

My main reason I don't want to go active is because I don't want to lie stateside unable to go to school. I wish to work part - time, serve part-time, and school full-time. A deployment would only delay that maybe a year whereas active duty would constrain me and limit me to many years of service before I could have time to go to school(Not to say people don't go to college while active).

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          I agree with the above posts in that, in all reality, you may not be able to deploy as soon as you would like. To increase your odds, be sure to speak with your RNCO once you complete your training. They should have access to what units in your state are deploying soon and if your MOS is needed during those missions. If you are interested in getting more experience or an opportunity to make more money, you might also ask your RNCO of any schools you can attend while your waiting for a deployment to come up.
          RNCO Is the recruiter NCO or something else? Also, what schools are exactly available? I was only mostly aware of Airborne, Ranger, AIT, etc.

Comment

Well if you were active, you would be able to go to school but possibly not in the manner that you like (e.g. dorm rooms, frat parties). We just trying to tell you since you are seeking out the National Guard; getting a deployment as soon as you like may not be possible especially with the many changes and draw down. I know you are probably wanting the Post 9/11 GI Bill and you will definitely earn that going active.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              If you are interested in getting more experience or an opportunity to make more money, you might also ask your RNCO of any schools you can attend while your waiting for a deployment to come up.
              Thats even less likely than getting deployed within 6 months.

Comment

RNCO = Readiness NCO

Comment

After you get back from AIT you can talk to the RNCO about possible ADOS(Active Duty Operational Support) orders. Sometimes there are special projects that require soldiers to go on active duty orders for a short period of time. The projects are pretty diverse and can be anything from building rifle ranges to sitting in an office helping with admin work. The orders are typically pretty short ranging from a coupe weeks to a couple months. In rare circumstances some orders can last a year but its not too common to see. I wouldn't make any plans that include getting ADOS work but it is a possibility. Much more a possibility than getting deployed within 6 months of graduating AIT or getting a highspeed school.

I don't know what the current active duty enlistment options are but a few years ago I heard of guys getting 2 year enlistment contracts, but they likely don't exist anymore. I do know they used to have and probably still do have 3 year enlistment contracts. So you could enlist for 3 years and when that 3 year obligation is over transfere to the national guard. You will have to look at the fine print but 3 years active duty should net you the full post 9/11 GI bill benefits for school.

The guard route probably wont see a deployent within 6 months, maybe a year after you get back from AIT. Factor about 6 months of initial training, a year of waiting, then a year long deployment and your looking at 2.5 years. After deployment you will qualify for the GI bill but not at the 100% rate vs the 3 years active duty should equal 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                    After you get back from AIT you can talk to the RNCO about possible ADOS(Active Duty Operational Support) orders.
                    SGT Juggernaut makes some good points. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that each state is different on how much of their budget they have for ADOS orders and extra training. Some states may have a lot of opportunity to do some extra training around the unit/state, while other states have just enough to complete the required training for the fiscal year.

When I mentioned schools, yes, that does include Air Borne, Air Assault, and the like. There might also be an opportunity to gain a second MOS if your unit has slots to fill in a specific specialty.

The bottom line is, there is no guarantee that you will have a deployment or extra training available to you right when you get back. So, you shouldn't bank on this. However, the opportunities do exist; you'll just have to get with your Readiness NCO and find out what's available in your state, for your MOS, and with your skills. Just stay motivated, and work hard during BCT! Get that out of the way and then see what's out there!

If you'd like more information on what you can expect during training, you might find this link helpful: http://bit.ly/JlHvRO.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X