Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active duty, ets'ing soon, looking into Maryland NG...have some questions.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active duty, ets'ing soon, looking into Maryland NG...have some questions.

moved.......
    Last edited by inquiring; May 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM. Reason: moved.......

Re: Active duty, ets'ing soon, looking into Maryland NG...have some questions.

Great to hear that you are looking at the National Guard. What questions do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by B.Wood View Post
      Great to hear that you are looking at the National Guard. What questions do you have?

At this point I have questions about accrued leave, changing my MOS for PA. N.G. to 68w and the loan repayment program.

Ok, first off, I think I already know the answer to this question but it never hurts to ask. If I ETS from my active duty unit, is it possible to not have to sell my leave days, (if I don't take the terminal leave days) transfer them to NG then combined them with the accrued days from my AIT, then take my leave. I just wanna be able to leave this Unit (OCONUS BTW) go train then situate my self back in Pa. Im guessing that its not possible, but no pain in asking.

Secondly, I am currently 11b1p infantry airborne enlisted, I want to change my MOS for the N.G. in PA. to 68w, I am about to take the National registry for EMT, I've already gotten the college certificate and its on my ERB. I'm assuming basic solider skills training I wont have to due, did that 3 years ago, so how long is the actual AIT, I am seeing online 16-68 weeks. ( I could ask my medic, but its a long weekend here and everyone's away on pass lol, plus hes not to hip to MOS change and what not)

Finally, I am being offered 3 years, two years stabilization and one year reduced from my over all IRR contract, which will put me at one year IRR after its all said and done. Tricare for family at about 197.00 dollars a month, active use with my TSP , commissary /post privileges, etc. No bonus, which Im not so concerned with, and no loan repayment program, which I am a little concerned with. All I have seen says that loan repayment is part of the "package" if you will for the guard, yet my career counselor here is telling me there's no way the guard is going to offer that. Is there a way I can decline the stabilization, or IRR reduction in trade so to speak to get the Loan Repayment. Im **** bent on this because of an old schoool loan thats weighing heavy on my credit and I am wanting to purchase a house. I make my payments on it and its not in default.

Thank you for your time to read my post and answer my questions!

Comment

A few questions

At this point I have questions about accrued leave, changing my MOS for PA. N.G. to 68w and the loan repayment program.

Ok, first off, I think I already know the answer to this question but it never hurts to ask. If I ETS from my active duty unit, is it possible to not have to sell my leave days, (if I don't take the terminal leave days) transfer them to NG then combined them with the accrued days from my AIT, then take my leave. I just wanna be able to leave this Unit (OCONUS BTW) go train then situate my self back in Pa. Im guessing that its not possible, but no pain in asking.

Secondly, I am currently 11b1p infantry airborne enlisted, I want to change my MOS for the N.G. in PA. to 68w, I am about to take the National registry for EMT, I've already gotten the college certificate and its on my ERB. I'm assuming basic solider skills training I wont have to due, did that 3 years ago, so how long is the actual AIT, I am seeing online 16-68 weeks. ( I could ask my medic, but its a long weekend here and everyone's away on pass lol, plus hes not to hip to MOS change and what not)

Finally, I am being offered 3 years, two years stabilization and one year reduced from my over all IRR contract, which will put me at one year IRR after its all said and done. Tricare for family at about 197.00 dollars a month, active use with my TSP , commissary /post privileges, etc. No bonus, which Im not so concerned with, and no loan repayment program, which I am a little concerned with. All I have seen says that loan repayment is part of the "package" if you will for the guard, yet my career counselor here is telling me there's no way the guard is going to offer that. Is there a way I can decline the stabilization, or IRR reduction in trade so to speak to get the Loan Repayment. Im **** bent on this because of an old schoool loan thats weighing heavy on my credit and I am wanting to purchase a house. I make my payments on it and its not in default.

Thank you for your time to read my post and answer my questions!

Comment

Where in OCONUS are you?

You cannot transfer your leave days and when I was in Germany; soldiers were not even recommended or able to sell their leave days. Also, you lose out on money if you do that.

Also, during the ACAP/transition process; there are individuals at your station to help you move over to the reserves component. If you are in Germany/Italy/Belguim, there exists one, but I do not know about Korea.

Also, your career counselor might not know all of the correct information since his focus is AD re-enlistments.

Armystudyguide.com usually posseses individuals in the same circumstances as well when it comes to transfering components from the active side.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            Where in OCONUS are you?

You cannot transfer your leave days and when I was in Germany; soldiers were not even recommended or able to sell their leave days. Also, you lose out on money if you do that.

Also, during the ACAP/transition process; there are individuals at your station to help you move over to the reserves component. If you are in Germany/Italy/Belguim, there exists one, but I do not know about Korea.

Also, your career counselor might not know all of the correct information since his focus is AD re-enlistments.

Armystudyguide.com usually posseses individuals in the same circumstances as well when it comes to transfering components from the active side.

Ok, I figured as much, and yea I have no intrest in selling my days back lol

Ill check with ACAP on this point, didnt realize I had this at my disposal here, Im in Italy BTW

Ill check out ARMYSTUDYGUIDE as well

Thanks....

Comment

Re: A few questions

1. You will always have to use/sell back your leave when you leave active duty.

2. Changing your MOS is going to be the hardest part of this. You're going to have to find a unit with a vacancy and then they have to get you into school. This a lot harder then it sounds. In many cases it's easier to take NPS then prior service.

3. Unless it has changed, you cannot combine the GI Bill with SLRP. Now that doesn't mean you can't use tution assistance or other Ed benefits offered by the state.

Comment

Re: A few questions

Thank you for your responses Gentlemen.

I see online there are openings in my specified area for 68w, just not sure they are updated. ill find out soon enough!
                Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X