X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Handler

I know this may be an odd question, but I honestly don't know. How does one become a dog handler? Is a part of a specific MOS or branch?

Re: Dog Handler

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
    I know this may be an odd question, but I honestly don't know. How does one become a dog handler? Is a part of a specific MOS or branch?
    I know Engineers have some dog handling teams. I'd guess MPs do too.

Comment

Well as a future officer, the only pooch you will work with, is your poodle at home

I have had Army MP buddies that went to K-9 school in Lackland. There they get the ASI. It is not an MOS that you sign up for. Just like 255S or FA53/24

Here is a good link about miitary working dogs. We have a big kennel on my FOB that I pass each day while running.

http://www.army.mil/article/56965/Mi..._of_the_Night/

I remember when I was an MP and when I in-processed detainees, I needed all the required forms for in-processing. Such as the DA Form 2823 and digital photos of any evidence that could be submitted. A unit came in, gave me the paperwork, the detainee and a color printout of a german shepphard sitting down next to a car. That was it. I asked the guy, "what is this pic of the dog sitting down for". he replied, "Sergeant, when the dog sits down that means he found something so that should count as probable cause".

I ripped the photo up plus it had a 2 year old date on it compared to the date of incident. Ridiculous but someone else got the pic from the digital cam and posted it up for everyone to laugh at.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 12th, 2012, 03:02 AM.

Comment

This is an extraordinarily small field. To my knowledge, Connecticut has a dog team, and perhaps one more in another state.

Comment

I wasn't interested in pursing the field; I was just asking as a matter of personal curiousity how soldiers acquired this duty.

Comment

For MP's it is an ASI, I can't speak for the EN branch. Dog's are treated far different then the civilian world. In the civlian world, the dog is paird almost permantly with the handler and lives with the handler. Not so in the military.

Comment

I wasn't interested in pursing the field; I was just asking as a matter of personal curiousity how soldiers acquired this duty.
              Oh the female version of FE arises.

Well, here you go!!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+army+dog+handle+school

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post

Well, here you go!!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+army+dog+handle+school
                LOL

"But what kinds of dogs does the Army train? I know 37 Special Forces Druid dog handlers, and they all faxed me their information and they have Chinese Crested, but I read in "Delta Force Doggy" magazine that SF only trains with Papillons. So which is it???"

Three posts later: "Why won't anybody answer my simple question???"

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                  LOL

"But what kinds of dogs does the Army train? I know 37 Special Forces Druid dog handlers, and they all faxed me their information and they have Chinese Crested, but I read in "Delta Force Doggy" magazine that SF only trains with Papillons. So which is it???"

LOL,

Those are excellent questions LT. Im sure someone will know that answer to that but not I.

I like teasing Chris and from the bottom of my heart; I hope she has a great Mother's Day. Since I am confined to GO #1; have a bud in my name please.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                    LOL

In addition to this,
                    "one of my closest friends told me he served in a unit with dogs and that after the dogs had been in for a few years they gained rank and some of the dogs were officers and some were NCOs. My friend says that all were required to salute the officer dogs and stand at parade rest for the NCO dogs. Apparently they were kept in the NCODP (NCO Dog Pound)"

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      WOW!! OK....I got you...lol

I didn't pull the question out of thin air; my hubby and I were discussing some dogs they had in Afghanistan (strays) and it progressed to 'dog handlers', etc, etc....

The other FE references were funny, but not in relation to ME!

Comment

before we left for our MOB station, our Infantry BN sent 2 11Bs per company to a 2 month TEDD course. The MWDs have been a great asset.

Comment

Working...
                        X