X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough decision to make

Hello all, I am 21 years old and extremely interested in the guard. The one problem I have stopping me right now is that I don't want to lost my current job (work for my local police department). It took me a while to get into this job after several tries, and I am afraid that if I inform them and tell them that I would have to be away for 3, 5, 7, 10 months or whatever length of time for training....that they would not take that favorably. It worries me that I might not have a job waiting for me when I came back from BCT and AIT, given that it quite a length of time to hold onto someone's job just for training.....any advice?

Re: Tough decision to make

Originally posted by WPS View Post
    Hello all, I am 21 years old and extremely interested in the guard. The one problem I have stopping me right now is that I don't want to lost my current job (work for my local police department). It took me a while to get into this job after several tries, and I am afraid that if I inform them and tell them that I would have to be away for 3, 5, 7, 10 months or whatever length of time for training....that they would not take that favorably. It worries me that I might not have a job waiting for me when I came back from BCT and AIT, given that it quite a length of time to hold onto someone's job just for training.....any advice?
    Legally, they are required to hold your position until you return for up to 3 years. This is covered under the USERRA act.

Comment

Another alternative is to join the Army full-time and go MP.

Comment

Legally, they are required to hold your position until you return for up to 3 years. This is covered under the USERRA act.
        I was under the impression that this only covered people who were already members of the military. Does it also cover those who choose to join while employed with someone?

Comment

Originally posted by WPS View Post
          I was under the impression that this only covered people who were already members of the military. Does it also cover those who choose to join while employed with someone?
          Yes, it still applies

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            Yes, it still applies
            Boom. If you want it, go after it

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              Get stationed at Ft Hood and enjoy the hourly calls to the barracks and housing!

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                Yes, it still applies

To add to this, keep in mind that when you are training for BCT and AIT, technically you are "enlisted". As soon as you swear in, you are covered for any discrimination against you from your employer for your military obligations.

Comment

Also check out the ESGR site.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                    I haven't seen many people who would prefer going Active Army as enlisted MP MOS over a decent local, state, or federal gig.

Comment

Working...
                    X