X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharged for not completing AIT?

Hello. I enlisted in 2010 as a split option training soldier and attended BCT but shortly after returning enrolled in ROTC as an SMP Cadet. Anyway, this year, 2012, I withdrew from the ROTC program and was led to believe by the officers in the ROTC program handling my paperwork that I would be sent back to my Guard Unit as a PFC and sent to AIT.

I am now being told that because it is more than 24 months from my enlistment date I must be discharged by the Guard. So here I am, feeling as though I was lied too and wondering what exactly (if anything) I can do about this? Is this something waiverable due to my ineligibility to be sent to AIT while contracted with ROTC? Would a transfer to another branch, such as the Coast Guard or a MOS reclass be possible? I really want to continue to serve and am very upset about this.

Anybody have any advice?

Re: Discharged for not completing AIT?

Most likely you weren't lied to, but rather your ROTC cadre didn't know about the 24 month rule. It is not waiverable, it is federal law. Your only option is to wait six months and try to rejoin. This is one reason why I wish all smp/ocs enlistments were required to attend an AIT, that way if some thing happens and you don't complete smp/ocs you would have an mos to fall back on and not have to be discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
      Most likely you weren't lied to, but rather your ROTC cadre didn't know about the 24 month rule. It is not waiverable, it is federal law. Your only option is to wait six months and try to rejoin. This is one reason why I wish all smp/ocs enlistments were required to attend an AIT, that way if some thing happens and you don't complete smp/ocs you would have an mos to fall back on and not have to be discharged.
      I am at the same point. My 2 year mark is February 2013 and I leave for AOCS in January. If something unfortunate occurs and I am released from OCS, I will be discharged. No pressure though.....

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
        So I literally have no options but to be discharged and reenlist for another 8 years after 6 months? That is a bummer. I would take any MOS just to stay in.

Comment

are you already past the 24 months? talk to your RSP cadre and explain that to them if you arent.. im sure there is someone who has dropped out somewhere in your state that you could have their slot and get out earlier. But only if it is less than 24.. Either way.. thats a bummer dude, I hope it works out for you

Comment

It's frustrating, I know. The good news is, when you do re-enlist, you won't have to attend Basic Combat Training again, and the time you did serve will still count for retirement. If you'd like to stay in, have you thought about continuing with the Officer route? Perhaps Officer Candidate School?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              It's frustrating, I know. The good news is, when you do re-enlist, you won't have to attend Basic Combat Training again, and the time you did serve will still count for retirement. If you'd like to stay in, have you thought about continuing with the Officer route? Perhaps Officer Candidate School?
              Really? I will not have to do BCT again? That is a relief. Seems sort of counter productive though since essentially I will be just dropped for 6 months then pick up where I left off anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X