X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wondering about sniper training ?

Can anybody tell me about how long it would take me to enlist and get the chance to go through sniper training ? Is that even probable rite now?

Re: wondering about sniper training ?

you would have to go into an 11B slot most likely, shoot expert in your unit, go to SDM school as an E4, hopefully get e5, and then hope and pray a slot opens in your state to go to sniper, then complete one of the hardest schools in the army, then you will have a sniper tab, but still no guarantee you will be a super hooah sniper. It is really all how the chips fall depending on the day. But, in your case, focus more on actually enlisting and getting through basic training than being all high-speed call-of-dutyish. Not trying to burst your bubble, I just don't want you to get super high expectations, and then get in and quit because its not like the games (it happens more than you would think)

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
      you would have to go into an 11B slot most likely, shoot expert in your unit, go to SDM school as an E4, hopefully get e5, and then hope and pray a slot opens in your state to go to sniper, then complete one of the hardest schools in the army, then you will have a sniper tab, but still no guarantee you will be a super hooah sniper. It is really all how the chips fall depending on the day. But, in your case, focus more on actually enlisting and getting through basic training than being all high-speed call-of-dutyish. Not trying to burst your bubble, I just don't want you to get super high expectations, and then get in and quit because its not like the games (it happens more than you would think)
      Sniper tab?

Comment

Indeed. Contrary to belief, the SNIPER tab is not an official award. And according to Wikipedia, there are less than 1000 snipers in the Army (300 in the Marine Corps). If that is any indication of how difficult the course is and how few positions there are.

Squad Designated Marksmen are what is there to compensate and at least give some degree of advanced marksmanship to a greater pool of soldiers and fill that need.
        Last edited by SteveLord; May 2nd, 2012, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Squad Designated Marksmen are what is there to compensate and at least give some degree of advanced marksmanship to a greater pool of soldiers and fill that need.
          Which, from what I hear is an awesome school. I would love the opportunity to go

Comment

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
            Which, from what I hear is an awesome school. I would love the opportunity to go
            I'm sure they'll design a distance learning version soon... (sarcasm directed at our inability to send anyone to necessary schools).

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              I'm sure they'll design a distance learning version soon... (sarcasm directed at our inability to send anyone to necessary schools).
              They are actually in talks with Xbox and play station about getting this established.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                They are actually in talks with Xbox and play station about getting this established.
                Congrats on the promotion.

As for schools, it's bad right now in NJ. WLC slots are being cancelled left and right.

Comment

Originally posted by matt134 View Post
                  Can anybody tell me about how long it would take me to enlist and get the chance to go through sniper training ? Is that even probable rite now?
                  First things first, there needs to be an infantry battalion in your state. Second, that infantry battalion needs to have a scout/sniper section in its HHC. Third, you would have to compete with all the other highspeed soldiers in that battalion (or in the case of my state all the highspeed soldiers in that state) just to get a slot in that platoon. The actual sniper section is only about a squad sized element so you have to compete further to get placed there. If you have made it this far then you get to compete with your fellow soldiers in the sniper section for the few slots they have a year which might only be one maybe two slots. If you earn a slot then you have to pray your state is willing to fund that slot for that year. Considering the current draw down and budget cuts it will be less likely to get funding for hooah schools from here on.

Could you go to sniper school while being in the NG, yes. I know 2 people in my states scout/sniper section that have gone to and passed sniper school. However, the chances are incredibly slim. If you really want to be a sniper then I would suggest going active duty Army.

Oh and before I forget, being a sniper is nothing like it is in COD Modern Warfare.

Comment

Usually, the very people that are asking about becoming a Sniper in the military. Are the same ones that will NOT pass the psychological evaluation required to attend Sniper School.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                      Oh and before I forget, being a sniper is nothing like it is in COD Modern Warfare.
                      you're right, its way more like BF3.. its got bullet drop and all. just like shooting real weapons

Comment

Working...
                      X