X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can National Guardsman run for political office

While still in the Guard? I have wondered this for sometime. Is it legally possible(Under UCMJ or specific state laws)?

I've tried running for city positions before I joined the Guard and wondering if I should hold it off until after my 6 years is up.

Re: Can National Guardsman run for political office

Originally posted by Bill_Martin View Post
    While still in the Guard? I have wondered this for sometime. Is it legally possible(Under UCMJ or specific state laws)?

I've tried running for city positions before I joined the Guard and wondering if I should hold it off until after my 6 years is up.
    Yes:

http://www.zashehady.com/wp/about/

Comment

That's great. Is there any kind of laws I should know about when trying it?

Comment

I believe it is only Active Duty Soldiers that can't run for political office.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
          I believe it is only Active Duty Soldiers that can't run for political office.
          That's what I thought as well. But, there is also the thing of not using your position as a soldier for personal gain. I guess it depends on your definition of personal gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill_Martin View Post
            That's what I thought as well. But, there is also the thing of not using your position as a soldier for personal gain. I guess it depends on your definition of personal gain.
            Yes you can run while in the Guard. There are many rules that are covered....obviously you wont be doing things like campainging in a military uniform. Refer to the DOD joint ethics regulation with your questions..

Google "DOD joint ethics regulation" and it comes right up.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              Yes you can run while in the Guard. There are many rules that are covered....obviously you wont be doing things like campainging in a military uniform. Refer to the DOD joint ethics regulation with your questions..

Google "DOD joint ethics regulation" and it comes right up.
              Good point. NJ had a "mandatory" company grade officer development convention/conference this week and, as expect, the JAG made a briefing about ethics.

Comment

I have seen many reserve components members run for state and federal officer in the last 15 years.

Here is a dated article on one notable individual.

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/s...-on-Senate-run

Since returning home in September after a yearlong deployment to Iraq with his National Guard unit, Beau Biden, a captain in the Guard, had been focused on his family and his job as attorney general

Comment

While I was deployed I became friends with this girl from Hawaii Guard that was a state representative there. It was pretty cool, she was just a SPC and only like 25 years old.

Comment

Working...
                  X