X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-class after basic

well as stated before. my priorities changed. college was my main priority and i planned on going active through the SMP program but now college isnt first. i probably will go active as soon as im done with AIT but im going to stay with the NG until ive completely decided on active. i do understand that its unlikely for me to deploy but i still have a bit of time.

Comment

Originally posted by the jones kid View Post
      well as stated before. my priorities changed. college was my main priority and i planned on going active through the SMP program but now college isnt first. i probably will go active as soon as im done with AIT but im going to stay with the NG until ive completely decided on active. i do understand that its unlikely for me to deploy but i still have a bit of time.
      Just an FYI...a Guard member doesn't suddenly walk up to his commander one day, share his goal of joining Big Army and sign the paperwork over a Root Beer with him. Although things can change, it is generally recommended to enlist Active Duty now if that's what one really wants to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        Just an FYI...a Guard member doesn't suddenly walk up to his commander one day, share his goal of joining Big Army and sign the paperwork over a Root Beer with him. Although things can change, it is generally recommended to enlist Active Duty now if that's what one really wants to do.
        +1

Getting a conditional release is not a right, and even if your commander apporves it that doesn't mean it wont get knocked down at the next level. During my initial contract I tried to get a conditional release to go active and I was denied because the NG wanted to get the most out of their investment. If you want to go active then do it RIGHT NOW. Now is the time since you have not shipped out to basic training yet. You could do active duty infantry and most likely deploy once in a 3 year enlistment. This would be your best shot at getting a guaranteed infantry slot.

I still recommend college overall though. You could do the SMP program and at the end go active duty upon recieving a commision. Now, getting commisioned on active duty is competetive, as well as getting the branch(MOS) you want. Infantry for officers is among the most sought after.

Comment

I am infantry, I am also a senior in college studying Strategic Intelligence. I am ISTing to PA from VA and asked the IST coordinator if I could go to an MI unit near the 11B unit I am going to, and he said no since there are open slots in my MOS.. now, for you.. what you might want to look into if you really want to be Infantry, and also want to do college (which i would recommend 1000%), look into going to a college in an area that does not have a close unit of whatever MOS you hold. say you are an 88M, and there is a unit 200 miles from your college, when there is an 11B unit 10 miles from it. If you change your address to the college, and then initiate an IST to that address, you MIGHT be able to talk with the coordinator about putting you into the 11B slot since driving 200 miles is unreasonable. It is in no way a guarantee, but it will most likely work out better than trying to switch without a new home of record in September. This way, you will be able to start working on college, and some qualifications on what you want to do in the civilian world, all while being an 11b or 11c (If it's an HHC unit). Also, don't worry about deployments. A bunch of my buddies in college got deployed this last year and just took a year off school, then got right back to it when they got back. Most schools will be willing to work with military, just find their military affairs office, or talk to the ROTC program who might be able to point you to the right people to talk to about it.

Comment

thank you all for the replies. i will definetly take all that was said into consideration. You all have more knowledge on this subject then me, its why i asked.

Comment

Working...
            X