X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard to Active? (As an Officer)

Hey everyone, I just swore in as an E-2 and when I get back from training I plan to start going through my school's ROTC program.

The guard has been awesome to me and I would love to serve a term or two as an officer, it would also allow me to pursue my other dream of becoming a Firefighter/Paramedic (what I am majoring in in college)

I was wondering if it's very difficult to switch between guard an active?

Re: Guard to Active? (As an Officer)

Originally posted by DreadPirateRoberts View Post
    I was wondering if it's very difficult to switch between guard an active?
    Yes, it is difficult to go from Guard to active duty. The active component has their own personnel model, and it doesn't respond well to officers entering mid-career. During the height of the war a few years ago they were short enough across the board that they were taking even lieutenant colonels from the Guard.

There are other ways for you to serve, however, to include short tours, as well as AGR (both Title 32 and Title 10). For right now, as a brand new Soldier, you have more pressing matters to attend to. As a generalized rule, you will get more of what you want out of the Guard if you perform well across a variety of circumstances, so concentrate right now on being the best E2 you can be.

Comment

While I concur with the LTC that is is very difficult to switch, if you plan on doing ROTC you will have a chance to commission directly into the Active Component at graduation. When you complete ROTC you can essentially commission anywhere....it is competitive though, so do well.

Comment

I was told there was a Guard Scholarship that forced me into the Guard, which honestly I wouldn't mind if they let me switch later, might try for one of those West Point spots I hear about

Thanks for the answers! Of course I will focus on being the best E2 ever, I only ever give my best!

Comment

If you want to be an Active Duty Officer, don't take the Guard Scholarship...
          They have AD scholarships, too.

OR.... Use the NG Tuition Assistance to pay for school, don't take any scholarship, and decide during your MS3 year how you want to commission.

This is going to be your best bet on going AD from the Reserve side, though.

Comment

Working...
          X