X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOS selection question

I'm 28, about to enlist this week in the National Guard, no prior service. I want to choose something like infantry or field artillary, but a friend/frequent customer of mine who is retired Army looked over my asvab scores and is encouraging me to choose something like medical since my scores are pretty high. Once I finish my college degree I'm pretty sure I want to get into teaching, so I don't feel like I need the Army to train me in any marketable skill. For my one weekend a month I really want to do what lay people consider "military type stuff" if that makes sense. Should I put a lot of thought into his advice or go with what I originally wanted to do and shoot **** while living out in the ****?

thanks for your replies

Re: MOS selection question

Just because you're qualified for something doesn't mean that it's for you. I like your thought process, inasmuch as you want to gain unique experiences in the Guard that you can't get elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks. My main reason for joining is for the sense of service, with the adventure and new experiences second. I plan on taking advantages of the benefits, but I'm not looking for the Army to teach me any specific skill. He made it sound like the infantry was full of mouth breathers who can't do anything else but shoot things. I didn't understand why they wouldn't need soldiers in the smarter end of the spectrum as well.

Comment

Having a MOS that can also be usefull in the civilian world is nice but the bottom line is you have to enjoy it. There is nothing worse then dreading going to drill every month because you are bored out of your mind or hate your MOS. If going infantry is something you really want to do then go for that. I honestly can't imagine doing anything else in the military except for combat arms, provided my body holds up.

Comment

One of my biggest peeves is when people think they should base their job choice simply on what they're qualified for. I could have done basically any MOS, but I chose 13B. Like the others are saying, choose what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
            One of my biggest peeves is when people think they should base their job choice simply on what they're qualified for. I could have done basically any MOS, but I chose 13B. Like the others are saying, choose what you want to do.
            Agreed. My father is a lawyer, business owner, and the smartest man I know. He started as an 11B, to include airborne, EIB, and a few other noteworthy achievements. He'll be the first to tell you that combat arms attracts all types--from high school dropouts to PhDs.

Your first question should be what you want to do. Then find out what you're qualified for. Seems like you might have that mixed up.

Comment

Ive got a teacher in my platoon, he's an 11B, been on deployments, and wouldn't have it any other way

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                Agreed. My father is a lawyer, business owner, and the smartest man I know. He started as an 11B, to include airborne, EIB, and a few other noteworthy achievements. He'll be the first to tell you that combat arms attracts all types--from high school dropouts to PhDs.

Your first question should be what you want to do. Then find out what you're qualified for. Seems like you might have that mixed up.
                I wanted 11B from when I first started talking to my recruiter, hoping that asvap, physical, and availability all worked out for me. When they did I didn't even look at any of the other MOSs that I qualified for. This is just an older guy wanting to give the newbie some what he thinks is sage advice. I didn't even ask him what I should do, he just asked to see my asvab breakdown and said I was an idiot for not considering something like medical. It didn't sway me away from 11B, I just wanted another couple opinions to make sure I shouldn't consider something else.

Comment

I chose 11B, and that was with a 99 AFQT and a 139 GT. I also got similar "advice" from some folk about doing a more technical MOS - but I've never regretted it. I learnt so much in terms of personal strength, determination and mental toughness on the 11B course at Ft Benning - and I hope to stay Infantry as an Officer. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by USAForever View Post
                    I chose 11B, and that was with a 99 AFQT and a 139 GT. I also got similar "advice" from some folk about doing a more technical MOS - but I've never regretted it. I learnt so much in terms of personal strength, determination and mental toughness on the 11B course at Ft Benning - and I hope to stay Infantry as an Officer. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
                    Yeah, I got a 99 AFQT and 138 GT, so there isn't an MOS I'm not qualified for. Recruiter got my temporary reservation for 11B today, I'm swearing in Friday morning, so this issue is moot now. I'll keep you in mind because I'm sure to have more questions between now and BCT. Thanks.

Comment

Goodluck!

Let us know how MEPS is. =)

Comment

Uhhh, fine I guess. Lots of waiting around, paperwork, and finger scanning. Swore in this morning.

Comment

Working...
                        X