X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Active Duty

I'm currently a Junior in high school and I've been looking into the Guard for a few weeks now. I was told by the recruiter that after being with my unit for at least three months after AIT I'm able to start a process to go active duty (any branch) I'm just wondering if anyone can verify/elaborate on this process.

Re: Going Active Duty

If you want to go active duty then go active duty right from the start. Why bother creating a world of headache and stress for no reason? Is it possible? Yes but not everyone is granted a conditional release and typically not within the time frame you want.

Comment

You can REQUEST to be conditionally released in order to join another branch...this does not have to be granted.

You can REQUEST to join another branch, they are not required to take you.

Currently, the active Army is accepting very, VERY limited prior service members...it is not the best time to try this.

If you want to be full time, and have that guarenteed..why would you not join the active component from the start?

Comment

One possibility you have is:

1.Enlist in the National Guard,

2. Then enroll into ROTC while in college, though this must be approved by your NG Unit.

3. Go active duty as an officer after you have completed college.

I think this is a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post

2. Then enroll into ROTC while in college, though this must be approved by your NG Unit.

+1. You could potentially retire within 16 years of date of commission (assuming it takes you 4 years for your undergrad), correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            +1. You could potentially retire within 16 years of date of commission (assuming it takes you 4 years for your undergrad), correct?
            I am almost certain they count on the back end of your retirement. In other words, you still serve 20 and retire with 24.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post

You still have to make the cut for active duty. It isn't automatic, and it is a competivie process. Some who want it, don't get it.

Comment

Good point.....but no risk no reward. But the pay difference between a CPT and a SGT, sewwww-wi. The responsibility difference, oooooo-wee. The chance of getting passed over twice for promotion and leaving early, oh-no.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  I am almost certain they count on the back end of your retirement. In other words, you still serve 20 and retire with 24.
                  That would make sense. Someone who spends 16 years AD and 4 years in the USAR/ARNG would be receiving their retirement as if they did their 20 years in the reserves?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    That would make sense. Someone who spends 16 years AD and 4 years in the USAR/ARNG would be receiving their retirement as if they did their 20 years in the reserves?
                    Pretty much yes, the last time I read about any of that the last 6 years had to be in a reserve component.

Comment

Remember this: Your recruiter won't likely outright lie to you, but will mislead or tell you things that although possible.....are realistically next to impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                        Remember this: Your recruiter won't likely outright lie to you, but will mislead or tell you things that although possible.....are realistically next to impossible.
                        In addition, a recruiter can tell an applicant accurate information about several different options, and the applicant could get them jumbled.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                          In addition, a recruiter can tell an applicant accurate information about several different options, and the applicant could get them jumbled.
                          Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                            You still have to make the cut for active duty. It isn't automatic, and it is a competivie process. Some who want it, don't get it.
                            Exactly. Many officers and enlisted are getting the cut who wanted to make a career. 20 years is no longer a guarantee. Thank goodness I am over my 20.

Comment

Working...
                            X