Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

College sophomore, not yet enlisted, Simultaneous Membership Program or ROTC contract?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College sophomore, not yet enlisted, Simultaneous Membership Program or ROTC contract?

Hello,

I'm currently a college student nearing the very end of my sophomore year, after which I'll be transferring to a 4-year university with an ROTC program. My ultimate goal is to become an ROTC cadet for the last two years and earn my commission in the NG.

I'm still a civilian, but I've been working with a recruiter who knows about my goals, but he seems doubtful about getting approved for the SMP program right now. We're in Washington state, by the way. Would it be better to contract with ROTC, or wait until the SMP program is available to be set up for someone like me who hasn't yet enlisted?

I don't want to spend years before finishing up my college, so joining regular and serving a while isn't really an option. What would be the best route, as far as getting my commission in the Guard and having enough benefits to finish my last two years of college?

PS. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm posting a new one because I'm aware that the answer to this question my vary from state to state, year to year, etc.

Thank you

Re: College sophomore, not yet enlisted, Simultaneous Membership Program or ROTC contract?

Go ahead and do LTC this summer and start your MS3 year in the fall. We have a couple non-prior service Cadets that snagged SMP slots (in Alabama). I'm not positive how they get paid, or how the roster works or anything, but I know it's not a Federal issue. Granted that's literally the other corner of the country from you so I'm sure things are different, but take it from a current SMP Cadet: you won't be missing much. Between ROTC training, and school, etc. you'll probably miss 3 or 4 drills a year anyways, and the ones you make you'll likely be filing papers or looking for signatures. Just go ahead and start ROTC now, and if a slot opens up and you want it, take it; but I don't think missing an SMP slot will affect you negatively in your career. You can commission NG without being SMP.

Comment

Working...
    X