X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

So, I've been strongly considering joining the Guard, and I have a few questions.

You have to be 17 to join the Guard. Does that mean that you have to be 17 to take the ASVAB and begin talking with a recruiter, or do you just have to be 17 when you report to MEPS?

Do you have any say in when you have your once-a-month training, or is it just assigned to you?

How much say do you have in what your MOS is?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Questions

Originally posted by Texasteen View Post
    So, I've been strongly considering joining the Guard, and I have a few questions.

You have to be 17 to join the Guard. Does that mean that you have to be 17 to take the ASVAB and begin talking with a recruiter, or do you just have to be 17 when you report to MEPS?

Do you have any say in when you have your once-a-month training, or is it just assigned to you?

How much say do you have in what your MOS is?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks
    1. AFAIK, nothing says you can't test the ASVAB at 16 (but I believe you need to be a junior or senior in HS.) And you can only swear in at 17...with parental approval/signature.

2. No. Your unit determines when training occurs and will issue you a schedule for the year usually.

3. To an extent. Every MOS has line score requirements that come out of your ASVAB test results. And generally there has to be a unit in the state that holds that MOS and there has to be an available slot. Pretty much everyone has infantry and/or MP units for example. However, I believe there is only 1 Firefighter unit in the entire country (California...what a surprise.) You can enlist in one state, while residing in another.
    Last edited by SteveLord; February 25th, 2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X