X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying with wife

My fiancee is in my unit and we're deploying soon and have been debating on getting married, even though we probably wont be able to stay together since we are in different platoons.. but everyone keeps saying it'll be more money......I dont get this at all..

How, we wont get seperation pay if we both deploy, the money is tax free so it wont be any less taken away due to taxes

Re: Deploying with wife

Originally posted by jrm1988 View Post
    My fiancee is in my unit and we're deploying soon and have been debating on getting married, even though we probably wont be able to stay together since we are in different platoons.. but everyone keeps saying it'll be more money......I dont get this at all..

How, we wont get seperation pay if we both deploy, the money is tax free so it wont be any less taken away due to taxes
    I thought I remember reading a while back there was an effort to let spouses live together while deployed together if they were under the same command. Obviously, the needs of the army come first. But I would think if the only difference is your platoon...it should be very possible.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
      I thought I remember reading a while back there was an effort to let spouses live together while deployed together if they were under the same command. Obviously, the needs of the army come first. But I would think if the only difference is your platoon...it should be very possible.
      Command usually determines that and soldiers are informed before deploying. Sometimes you experience the double standars of married officers (living in the same B-hut) compared to enlisted spouses.

OP, marry when you two are ready not for financial gain.

Comment

The fees for a divorce lawyer will far exceed whatever small sum you get from marrying before deployment. I strongly recommend pre-marital counseling (for everyone contemplating marriage, not just for you).

Comment

Originally posted by jrm1988 View Post

If you end up on two different bases while deployed you would get family seperation pay. However, I hate these scenarios. Im sure you realize the Army doesn't recognize a fiancee as anything. So the problem becomes if god forbid anything happened to either one of you, legally the Army isn't going to care about accomodating the other person for emergency leave and other things. They do allow you to live together on deployment if mission allows it and there is proper housing available. Just don't jump into anything for the wrong reasons. I have seen the Army informally force marriage onto many young people way to early because of the "unofficial" situations.

Comment

Working...
          X