X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I go AD or no?

Hello guys. I joined The National Guard back in January 2010 with no sign on bonus. I signed a 3x5 contract, meaning I serve 3 years in the Guard and 5 years in the IRR. I was wondering after my 3 years are up (Ive done 2 years), is it possible to reenlist to Active Duty instead of doing 5 years in the IRR? I want to make the military my career. I love the lifestyle and I can really see myself doing this for 20+ years.

Re: Can I go AD or no?

Have you talked to an AD recruiter about your ambitions?

Comment

Re: Can I go AD or no?

Once your drilling obligation ends, you are free to enlist in another component. That other component, however, has no obligation to take you, so you may wish to engage an active component recruiter now. Likely they will take you with some conditions, so be prepared to reclassify to an MOS you don't like, lose a stripe, and get sent to an undesirable duty station. I have no idea whether any of these conditions will apply to you when your time arrives, I'm just warning you to prepare yourself mentally for the possibility. That way, if it happens, you shall have already thought it through, and can make an intelligent decision on how to proceed.

Comment

Working...
      X