X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with deciding on Active Duty or National Guard

I want to join the Army but I can't decide on the National Guard or Active duty. I want to do 13B, and have plans for ROTC after I finish basic. I just got my EMT license and would like to work as an EMT and serve my country and with the Guard, but I come from a long line of Active Duty soldiers an want to carry on the tradition. Any advice?

Re: Help with deciding on Active Duty or National Guard

Easy: Join the NG as a gun bunny, serve 2 years as a PFC during your Freshman and Sophomore year of college, Enroll in ROTC as a Junior (MS3), kick *** at LDAC and keep a high GPA throughout school, get selected for Active Duty, serve as a Lieutenant on the Active side.

Comment

I do not know your situation but if you have dependents and have a decent job supporting them than the NG is a good option but you can come on active duty and go green to gold. Consider if you want a career and that active duty service as an enlisted will provide a little more income when you become a 2LT.

You have plenty of options and I suggest that you get a piece of paper with pros and cons on each side for Active and the NG and make a sensible decision. I have more years on active duty than my ten years service in the reserve components and currently on active duty. I have to say; active duty has been real good to me. I will retire with 20 years of active duty service and that retirement will definitely come in handy.

Comment

Go active duty.

Comment

"Should I drive my car or take an airplane when I go on vacation?"

Well, that largely depends on whether you want to go to the next state over, or to another continent.

I don't know enough about your future plans to give you any guidance.

Comment

Working...
          X