Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-joining family issues....

Back story:

I am a 26 year old Police Officer in the Memphis, TN area. I am married with a baby due to be born on May 13, 2012.

Now that you know a little about me, here's my situation:

I've always wanted to join the military, when I was 18 it was the Marine Corps because of "coolness" factor. I decided to hang up my aspirations in order to continue with my college and eventual Police career. About a year ago I revisited the idea of the military by talking to a National Guard recruiter but due to a less than honorable attitude (on the recruiters side) I once again let the idea pass.

Fast forward to the current time, my wife and I found out we're pregnant with our little girl(first child), Ella Rose, due on May 13th. My wife is set to start nursing school in June 2012. So, now, I'm back thinking about the Guard. I would fulfill my lifetime wish of being a member of the United States military, my child would be able to use my Montgomery GI Bill when she attends college, the extra money every month, the retirement and the various other benefits...

My mother has always been against me joining and I've kept her out of the loop this go-round. I've completed everything except for the background check and physical/ swear in day. My father decided to tell my mother last night and I received a phone call this morning... needless to say she is less than thrilled with the idea. The one thing she said over and over again is that my wife and I will not know what it's like with the baby until she gets here... which makes sense to me. She also brought up the idea of being deployed and missing out on my child's growing... which also worries me.

I guess I'm just looking for some insight from soldiers who have been in the same type of situation I find myself in. I'm trying to do what is best for my family in the long term (college for my child, extra money, retirement, etc...) but I despise making my mother hurt. Hearing her cry is one of the worst sounds in the world to me.

My wife is extremely supportive of my thoughts. She worries about deployments and me being gone but knows the benefits as well.

I'm joining as an 11B and the closest unit is in Huntingdon, TN.

Any kind words? Maybe some motivational speeches? I was 100% committed to joining but after the talk with my mother I'm worried....about hurting her I guess. I'm her only son.

Sorry for the rant...

Re: Pre-joining family issues....

Deployments are much fewer and further in-bewteen, this is a new era.

Comment

Standfast...

The biggest things you'll regret in life are the things you DON'T do.

Mom is will be more worried than hurt should you decide to pull the trigger on this thing. Dollar to a doughnut she'll be proud of you and and the many benefits you described above for you and your family.

I was an Active Duty Marine for almost 11 years, and had a 13 year break in service before joining the guard. Best thing I've ever done!

If you're recruiter is a tool, find another one. There's plenty in your area, I'm sure.

Sign the papers and do work!! Best of luck to you and your family - mom will be just fine!

Comment

Thanks fellas. After a long conversation with my mother all is well. As stated above she had the typical motherly worries...

I swear in on Friday, February 24, 2012 as an 11B. My unit is in Huntington, TN Troop A (-)/1/278 ACR.

Hopefully at 26 years of age I won't be the oldest recruit at Ft. Benning!

Comment

Ha 26 is a good age....fret not, remember lead from the front.

Comment

Originally posted by StandFast85 View Post
            Thanks fellas. After a long conversation with my mother all is well. As stated above she had the typical motherly worries...

I swear in on Friday, February 24, 2012 as an 11B. My unit is in Huntington, TN Troop A (-)/1/278 ACR.

Hopefully at 26 years of age I won't be the oldest recruit at Ft. Benning!
            Hey! That was my enlistment date!

I was the oldest by 11 years at 37, you'll be fine

Comment

Just so you know though, you won't be able to pass the GI Bill on to your children unless you are deployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                Hey! That was my enlistment date!

I was the oldest by 11 years at 37, you'll be fine
                I believe a 40 year old attended 11B OSUT but cannot find the article. Does anyone know?

EDIT: found it

http://nj.gov/military/publications/...e33no5/13.html back in the day when we wore the beret with the ACU.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM. Reason: found article

Comment

Working...
                X