X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do you get stationed

Hi this is my first time posting on this forum. I have put alot of thought in joining the gaurd even going as far as studying for asvab. The biggest thing holding me back is getting stationed far from home because i have two small children. So my question is what are my chances getting stationed close to home for my full time im inlisted reserves or full time. Fyi im in riverside county california thanks for your time.

Re: where do you get stationed

Originally posted by cpk8287 View Post
    Hi this is my first time posting on this forum. I have put alot of thought in joining the gaurd even going as far as studying for asvab. The biggest thing holding me back is getting stationed far from home because i have two small children. So my question is what are my chances getting stationed close to home for my full time im inlisted reserves or full time. Fyi im in riverside county california thanks for your time.

The national guard and the reserves are only part time - you will only be full time if you get activated/deployed. After basic training and AIT to learn you're job you go back home and you only go to training one weekend a month and two Weeks a year. You don't live on a base, you don't move, you stay in your own house our apartment in your own community. Your drill will be in your state.

Comment

The National Guard is not a full time 9-5 job. You serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year unless you are deployed. The only time you work for the guard full time(other then a deployment) is if you get hired for a ft position but those positions are hard to get. From what I was told, you have to be in for a few years to even be considered for one of those positions because with the high unemployment rate there are a lot of people trying for those ft positions..

Www.nationalguard.com "When you enlist in the National Guard, you can choose to serve three, six or eight years—typically training just one weekend a month and two weeks a year. If you choose only three or six years, you’ll spend the remainder of the time in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)—which means you won't train with a unit, but you can still be called up in the event of an emergency during the balance of your total eight-year commitment."

"What is the National Guard's mission? The Guard answers the call, at home or abroad.

The incredible versatility of the National Guard enables its troops to respond to domestic emergencies, combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and more—all with equal speed, strength and efficiency.

Whether the call is coming from the state governor or directly from the president of the United States, Guard Soldiers are always ready and always there.

You'll serve your community, your state and your country.

As a Guard Soldier, you can expect your primary area of operation to be your home state, following the leadership of your state adjutant general and governor. This may include community efforts, responding to wildfires or floods. Or, it may include serving overseas, training foreign forces.

You will also be prepared to mobilize when directed by the president. This may include overseas service or domestic, such as serving along the U.S.-Mexico border.

So, what does the National Guard do? Whatever is needed, wherever it is needed."

"You'll serve your community, your state and your country.

As a Guard Soldier, you can expect your primary area of operation to be your home state, following the leadership of your state adjutant general and governor. This may include community efforts, responding to wildfires or floods. Or, it may include serving overseas, training foreign forces.

You will also be prepared to mobilize when directed by the president. This may include overseas service or domestic, such as serving along the U.S.-Mexico

Comment

" Q: Where will I serve?

A: Technically, it could be anywhere. Most likely, you'll attend drill at the armory nearest your hometown, and if called to action, remain in-state. However, in major emergencies, such as in Hurricane Katrina, you could be sent to another state to help. It's also possible you'll be deployed in support of combat operations, such as to the Middle East to assist in the War on Terrorism.

Learn more.

Q: When will I serve?

A: You'll train one weekend per month plus a two-week period each year. For most of the training weekends, you'll be with us Saturday and Sunday only, though occasionally you'll be asked to report for duty on a Friday night. In case of Active Duty, you will serve whenever you are needed and called."

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I guess this is something thats hard to make a living from being that it is very little work. Now my next question is if
          I go in as MP for example whats my chances of getting hired at local pd.

Comment

Originally posted by cpk8287 View Post
            Thanks for all the replies. I guess this is something thats hard to make a living from being that it is very little work. Now my next question is if
            I go in as MP for example whats my chances of getting hired at local pd.
            Do a search on this forum and you will find a bunch of answers to that MP/police question.

Comment

Note, if you are a single parent with children...then you will face a big issue trying to enlist. You will have to seek a waiver (if they even go that far) and likely provide documentation that another adult guardian can exist in your absence to care for the children.

Comment

Working...
              X