Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean to be a Support company (airborne)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean to be a Support company (airborne)

The mos I want is a 12r, but it is a airborne unit. the unit would be a SPT CO. What does that exactly mean. Would I do my mos first, or does that mean I would be special forces. After basic and ait, I would have to go to airborne school.

Re: What does it mean to be a Support company (airborne)

YOU WILL NOT BE SPECIAL FORCES. A support company is just that, a company that supports the main element, ie an infantry battalion. You will be working in your MOS just like a soldier in a non airborne support company would. If the unit is an airborne unit that jumps a few times a year then yes you will go to airborne school after AIT.

Comment

Indeed. Special Forces and Airborne are 2 separate classifications.

Comment

Originally posted by acarrillo08 View Post
        The mos I want is a 12r, but it is a airborne unit. the unit would be a SPT CO. What does that exactly mean. Would I do my mos first, or does that mean I would be special forces. After basic and ait, I would have to go to airborne school.
        Dont get wrapped up if the unit is listed as airborne or not. I was with the 101st Airborne Division but obviously its no longer an airborne division.

The type of unit you should focus on is a line unit in which you will be more apt to deploy (if that is what you want) and most likely involved in your actual MOS.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I enlist on friday, and I just wanted to no what it ment to be witb a support com. Im pretty excited. Any other info yall are willing to give feel free just to tell me.

Comment

Well I belive the unit is 197th SPT CO... Ive read that before a unit lk this as been to deplyoed to back up the special forces unit. Like someone said on the earlier post, thats what we do, even tho my mos is a 12r

Comment

Originally posted by acarrillo08 View Post
              Well I belive the unit is 197th SPT CO... Ive read that before a unit lk this as been to deplyoed to back up the special forces unit. Like someone said on the earlier post, thats what we do, even tho my mos is a 12r
              Your reading into that the wrong way. You don't "back up" Special Forces. You support them. You won't be fast ropping onto buildings, kicking in doors, free falling from 30,000ft etc. You will be in the rear, with the gear, making sure everything is running like it should so they can be successfull. However, those soldiers who are supporting a SF unit are expected to be subject matter experts in thier MOS, so you have to know your job and know it well. Other than that you will not be more highspeed than any other 12R in the Army.

Comment

Listen to SGT Juggernaut. He is right. However, IMO this is an opportunity of a lifetime for you if you allow it to be. RUN, don't walk, to put in the papers for airborne school. When you take your physical admit to NOTHING. Don't volunteer any information on surgeries, medications, smoking etc. Be a picture of health on your paperwork. The Army never knew I had both knees scoped, for example. While you're at Airborne school someone from Ranger school will come over and introduce themselves to the school and ask for volunteers. You're hand should go up. You will meet people in the airborne community that will open doors for your career and fun quotient. For example, once you earn your basic parachutist wings you can go SF. But here is what you'll have to do. Contact active duty recruiting or directly contact the 19th or 20th SF Group recruiting (these groups are spread out through the Utah, Colorado, West Virginia, Florida, Alabama Army National Guard) and since you're on active jump status, they'll be more likely to accept you as a transfer. If you stay highly motivated and don't step on your Richard by getting a DUI or something, in 3-4 years you could be graduating from the SF course. If you choose not to go this route then do well in your unit but yes you will be in the rear with the gear, not that there's much rear anymore, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It's been 12 years since I've jumped and I still have my maroon airborne beret in my bedside table.

Comment

Working...
                X