X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on the National Guard

I've been wanting to join the military ever since I learned my father and grandfather both served in the military (Navy-Army respectively). I decided that, in order to help pay for college, I would go National Guard to ascertain my desire for military life, and a few curious questions came up.

- My main goal is to be a tanker like my grandfather. Would the Guard send me to BCT then Armor School directly after, or would they send me to BCT, then when convenient send me to Armor School? I've checked, there is an armored recon unit nearby.

- Let's say the NG is already paying for my college. Could I apply for an ROTC scholarship if they're already paying for the college?

Re: Questions on the National Guard

- My main goal is to be a tanker like my grandfather. Would the Guard send me to BCT then Armor School directly after, or would they send me to BCT, then when convenient send me to Armor School? I've checked, there is an armored recon unit nearby.
    You have to be qualified for that MOS and there has to be an opening for it. MOS 19K: M1 Armor Crewman I believe is the MOS you want.
    In most cases, you do BMT and then AIT right after or soon after without there being a long gap in between. But, with this MOS your Initial Training is primarily conducted through One Station Unit Training (OSUT), which combines basic training and job training into one single course of instruction. OSUT for 19K, Armor Crewman is 15 weeks at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

- Let's say the NG is already paying for my college. Could I apply for an ROTC scholarship if they're already paying for the college?
    Yes, you can apply for an ROTC scholarship and does both together - it is called Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP).

Comment

Re: Questions on the National Guard

See above post
      Last edited by robinpugs06; January 22nd, 2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X