X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Joining

Hello there guys, I finally went and spoke to a recruiter last week to explore my options with the military. Here's a little bit about myself, I am a second semester Junior at college and will be attending for two more years after this (super senior). I have always been interested in the military and am the kind of person that needs a job which keeps you busy and allows you to get your hands dirty. I have worked outside almost my entire life on farms and landscaping. I feel that now is the time to make a change and pursue what I have always desired. Although I am content going to school and understand that a degree will only help me I would still like to be in the military. I spoke to an Army National Guard recruiter the other day and he said I could join asap and start going to drill each month until this summer when I would attend BCT in Fort Benning, GA. I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out with a couple questions I have compiled:

-Would I be able to switch to Active Duty after I complete college (only 2 years of guard service)? (I would plan on going to OCS the summer after I graduate)

-Say I join the National Guard and when I am ready to become AD (2 years from join date) I want to go into another branch as Active Duty such as the Marines? I read somewhere I would have to pay back any benefits I received and go to Marine Boot camp?

-Would I be guaranteed to be finished with Basic over the summer so that I can finish my last 2 years of college on time?

-I understand this is a National Guard forum and may not be the right place to ask but should I consider the Marine Reserves over the ARNG? I'm not sold on anything but I must admit the title of "Marine" appeals to me. I mean no harm to the Army by the previous sentence and have also been looking at what it takes to become an Airborne soldier.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Re: Questions about Joining

Originally posted by paintgiant View Post
    Hello there guys, I finally went and spoke to a recruiter last week to explore my options with the military. Here's a little bit about myself, I am a second semester Junior at college and will be attending for two more years after this (super senior). I have always been interested in the military and am the kind of person that needs a job which keeps you busy and allows you to get your hands dirty. I have worked outside almost my entire life on farms and landscaping. I feel that now is the time to make a change and pursue what I have always desired. Although I am content going to school and understand that a degree will only help me I would still like to be in the military. I spoke to an Army National Guard recruiter the other day and he said I could join asap and start going to drill each month until this summer when I would attend BCT in Fort Benning, GA. I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out with a couple questions I have compiled:

-Would I be able to switch to Active Duty after I complete college (only 2 years of guard service)? (I would plan on going to OCS the summer after I graduate)

Can you switch? Yes. Would it be likely? Probably not. Active Duty is over-strength right now. The best shot you have of going Active Duty after graduation would be to do ROTC and compete on the AD OML.

-Say I join the National Guard and when I am ready to become AD (2 years from join date) I want to go into another branch as Active Duty such as the Marines? I read somewhere I would have to pay back any benefits I received and go to Marine Boot camp?

-Would I be guaranteed to be finished with Basic over the summer so that I can finish my last 2 years of college on time?

You would be able to pick your BCT ship date at MEPS in most cases but whether you can fit your AIT into the summer also depends on 2 things: 1. Length of AIT. 2. Not getting injured at BCT + AIT (this is something that may be out of your control).

-I understand this is a National Guard forum and may not be the right place to ask but should I consider the Marine Reserves over the ARNG? I'm not sold on anything but I must admit the title of "Marine" appeals to me. I mean no harm to the Army by the previous sentence and have also been looking at what it takes to become an Airborne soldier.

If you like slow promotions and very limited promotion opportunities, the USMC-R is the way to go. I have a friend that has finished USMC's version of BCT and MCT. His unit has no funding to send him to MOSQ. He has been in the USMC-R for 3 years. In other words, he's screwed.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing what you all have to say.
    Answers above.

Comment

Thank you for your responses they were very helpful. I went and talked to my recruiter again today. He said that I can apply for an Active Duty slot upon enlisting and if I don't get in I will still be in the guard. Also he said that I could apply for Active Duty later on. My schedule would be BCT this summer then school fall and spring semesters then AIT then final year of school fall and spring and then I could do OCS I believe.

Comment

I have one more question. If I enlist for the 3 year term in the NG can I switch to another branch during my IRR without having to pay back any assistance such as college tuition I have received?

Comment

Note, the Guard DOES have full time active duty positions. However, they are competitive...and for good reason. Do some searching for AGR, ADOS and technician discussions in the forums.

Comment

Working...
          X