X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bah

how does BAH work? do you get the amount of the area where you are doing your one weekend training?

Re: Bah

Originally posted by Rochin View Post
    how does BAH work? do you get the amount of the area where you are doing your one weekend training?
    Members of the National Guard and United States Military Reserves do not receive a housing allowance when performing weekend drill duty.

Guard and Reserve members on active duty for less than 30 days eceive a different type of housing allowance than active duty members. This type of housing allowance is known as Basic Allowance for Housing, Type II or now BAH Reserve Component/Transit and BAH Differential , and pays less, on average, than Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Type I, which is based upon a member's rank, dependency status, and location of assignment.

BAH Type II, on the other hand is not dependent upon location of assignment. It is the same, regardless of where the National Guard/Reserve member is stationed.

National Guard and Reserve military personnel who are on active duty for 30 days or longer (with the exception of active duty for training), receive BAH Type I, the same housing allowance received by active duty members.

As mentioned above, "active duty for training" doesn't count in the active duty days rule. Therefore, a Guard or Reserve member who went to basic training and job-training for 30
    days or more would still receive BAH type II.
    Last edited by robinpugs06; January 19th, 2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

BAH Reserve Component/Transit and BAH Differential

Reservists mobilized for 30 days or less — for two-week annual training, for example B— get pro-rated Basic Allowance for Housing Reserve Component/Transit (BAH RC/T), formerly known as BAH Type II, at 1/30th of the monthly rate for each day of active duty. Partial BAH is paid to service members without dependents who live in government quarters.

Eligibility. The type of BAH for which a reservist is eligible is based on length of active duty in one location, the type of active duty and whether the member is living in government quarters. It breaks down like this:

• Active duty under 30 consecutive days — BAH RC/T. This includes annual training and any active-duty training or special work under the 30-day threshold.

However, serving 31 days — the minimum time required to receive full BAH — does not automatically entitle a reservist to the higher payments. For example, if a reservist is called up for 14 days and receives a 17-day extension, he receives only BAH RC/T unless the call-up or extension was for a national emergency or contingency operation.

For periods of duty less than 31 days, BAH RC/T payments are prorated for the actual number of days served.

• Active duty over 30 consecutive days in one location. This allowance is based on the type of duty reservists are involved in, their family status and whether government quarters are assigned. Reservists mobilized in a time of national emergency or for a contingency operation automatically qualify for full BAH. Reservists who volunteer or are called up for 31 days or more and reservists called up for noncontingencies also qualify for the higher BAH payments.
      Last edited by robinpugs06; January 19th, 2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

So my question is, if I have an apartment in my name, I join the guard and go to OSUT for 18-20 weeks. Would I receive full BAH? Since its "active" duty for over 30 days? If I dont get BAH, I cant swing rent on an E-1's pay.

Comment

Originally posted by tomatoe View Post
          So my question is, if I have an apartment in my name, I join the guard and go to OSUT for 18-20 weeks. Would I receive full BAH? Since its "active" duty for over 30 days? If I dont get BAH, I cant swing rent on an E-1's pay.
          I think you will get BAH type II now known as BAH Reserve Component/Transit and BAH Differential. I would talk to your recruiter to find out for sure and to find out how much you will get

Comment

No, it would be full. BAH RC/T (formerly Type II) is typically for your 2/3 week Annual Training.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
              No, it would be full. BAH RC/T (formerly Type II) is typically for your 2/3 week Annual Training.
              Ok I thought active duty for training including bct and ait all fell under BAH RC/T. Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by tomatoe View Post
                If???? what happens when you return from training? How does your rent get paid? Do you currently have a full-time job?

Comment

Working...
                X