Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployment tempo for National Guard

Hello,

A unit for the USMCR in my state, was ordered home from Afghanistan due to the recent draw down. Obama promised 10,000 men home by the end of the year I guess and another 20-30,000 next year. I asked the marine, who is a member of that unit and lives in my town what happened? His unit only spent 5 months or so in theater. He stated that due to the draw down the USMC will no longer be sending over reserve units to Afghanistan.

I am curious, if this will effect NG deployments as well. I understand the Army is alot larger and has a greater need for man power and relies heavily on the NG. I was just curious if anyone has noticed a down turn in deployments or if they will stop all together in the coming year? I am nervous because my whole goal, is to join the guard and deploy ASAP.

Re: Deployment tempo for National Guard

Originally posted by tomatoe View Post
    Hello,

A unit for the USMCR in my state, was ordered home from Afghanistan due to the recent draw down. Obama promised 10,000 men home by the end of the year I guess and another 20-30,000 next year. I asked the marine, who is a member of that unit and lives in my town what happened? His unit only spent 5 months or so in theater. He stated that due to the draw down the USMC will no longer be sending over reserve units to Afghanistan.

I am curious, if this will effect NG deployments as well. I understand the Army is alot larger and has a greater need for man power and relies heavily on the NG. I was just curious if anyone has noticed a down turn in deployments or if they will stop all together in the coming year? I am nervous because my whole goal, is to join the guard and deploy ASAP.
    If this will affect NG deployments? It already has.

Comment

President Obama was meeting his goal of reducing 30K from Afghanistan before 2012 in addition on officially ending the Iraq War. I have many buddies in active duty units that have sent about 30 to 50 percent of their deployment strength back home.

I am still slated to go next month back to Afghanistan.

Just remember that with reserve component units; they are aligning them with a five-year deployment cycle vice active duty units at three years.

Obviously; things can change if more conflicts flare up but with the administration working on reducing the deficit; ending the wars is one money saving solution.

Comment

I know he is trying to reduce the "surge" troops. I was just curious if anyone has heard anything about the guard getting the axe on deployments. I know kids in that marine unit that waited 5 years to deploy and barely got in. Then they got sent home. So I was just curious if the Army plans on cutting out the guard all together like the USMC did to the reserves.

Comment

I look at this from 3 different points of view. The 1st, I was kicked out of Iraq 2mo ago, so yea, the downsizing happens. 2nd, I got a buddy that contracts, he was scheduled to leave next week and his company lost the government contract. Seems the Good Idea Fairy is actually using NG units to do that job instead of wasting a lot of cash on contracts. Dont get me wrong I see both sides of the fence on this one. I love the contractor money, but its kinda rediculous budget wise what is shelled out vs. what a soldier is paid for the same job or more. 3rd, did anyone believe we were going to be in Afghanistan and Iraq forever? The drawdown will come just like change always comes. There will be other deployments, the Earth is a pretty large place, and the bad guys are all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
            I love the contractor money, but its kinda rediculous budget wise what is shelled out vs. what a soldier is paid for the same job or more.
            This is a common misconception. In the short term, yes contractors make more. It saves the Government money in the long run, considering guys retire, get injured, get VA Benefits, and so in. We end up either paying a contractor 100,000 grand one time vs a soldier 35,000 for the rest of his life. Obviously those specific numbers are a hypothetical example, but you get the point

Comment

100k wont get the people I am talking about out of bed. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                100k wont get the people I am talking about out of bed. LOL
                Very funny. @paralegal, another reason that contractors are used (like ITT at the NOC when I was in Afghanistan) is because of the continuity they able to provide.

OP, the Guard will not be cut out deployments but deploying less. The Marines are a smaller branch and usually take a position and move on and the Army holds it. The Marines left the Iraq mission long before it was officially ended.

Comment

There is a restructuring of deployment cycles with NG units all over the place. In my state our infantry battalion was supposed to deploy in less than a year from now. Then last month it was reduced from a battalion to a company. Then this last week they were being told even the company sized element might be cancelled.

On the other hand, my unit is suppost to deploy in roughly 12 months and we are getting the green lights everywhere including a bunch of federal funding for schools. Our entire AT this year revolves around a plethora of schools to get us ready for our mission; ******* route clearance. So while the infantry is being axed on deployment we are still cleared hot mainly because route clearance is such a vital mission in theater. So in many ways the deployment cycle will depend more and more on your unit and the mission. Much less of a need for door kickers but a continued need for logistics, engineer and security for the duration of OEF.

Comment

Working...
                  X