X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best option with a BA degree in Criminal Justice

I will be receiving my Ba in criminal justice administration in April and I am planing on joining the guard, I haven't talked to a recruiter yet but I wanted to know some info on what my best options are before I go in to talk to a recruiter.

Thanks

Re: Best option with a BA degree in Criminal Justice

This is a very broad question, could you narrow it down a little? You plan on staying enlisted or going through OCS to commision? Have any idea what kind of job you want? Plan on making the military a career?

Comment

I Plan on making a career of the military. I just want a good position with ok pay and some good benefits while serving my country. To be honest I dont even know how the national guards work do I get to stay home and just go to the base like a 9-5 regular job once I get home from training or how does the National Guard work? Ive read on the forums that the best thing is to become an officer?

Comment

Originally posted by Rochin View Post
        I Plan on making a career of the military. I just want a good position with ok pay and some good benefits while serving my country. To be honest I dont even know how the national guards work do I get to stay home and just go to the base like a 9-5 regular job once I get home from training or how does the National Guard work? Ive read on the forums that the best thing is to become an officer?
        The National Guard is not a full time 9-5 job. You serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year unless you are deployed. The only time you work for the guard full time(other then a deployment) is if you get hired for a ft position but those positions are hard to get. From what I was told, you have to be in for a few years to even be considered for one of those positions because with the high unemployment rate there are a lot of people trying for those ft positions..

Www.nationalguard.com
        "When you enlist in the National Guard, you can choose to serve three, six or eight years—typically training just one weekend a month and two weeks a year. If you choose only three or six years, you’ll spend the remainder of the time in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)—which means you won't train with a unit, but you can still be called up in the event of an emergency during the balance of your total eight-year commitment."

"What is the National Guard's mission?
        The Guard answers the call, at home or abroad.

The incredible versatility of the National Guard enables its troops to respond to domestic emergencies, combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and more—all with equal speed, strength and efficiency.

Whether the call is coming from the state governor or directly from the president of the United States, Guard Soldiers are always ready and always there.

You'll serve your community, your state and your country.

As a Guard Soldier, you can expect your primary area of operation to be your home state, following the leadership of your state adjutant general and governor. This may include community efforts, responding to wildfires or floods. Or, it may include serving overseas, training foreign forces.

You will also be prepared to mobilize when directed by the president. This may include overseas service or domestic, such as serving along the U.S.-Mexico border.

So, what does the National Guard do?
        Whatever is needed, wherever it is needed."

"You'll serve your community, your state and your country.

As a Guard Soldier, you can expect your primary area of operation to be your home state, following the leadership of your state adjutant general and governor. This may include community efforts, responding to wildfires or floods. Or, it may include serving overseas, training foreign forces.

You will also be prepared to mobilize when directed by the president. This may include overseas service or domestic, such as serving along the U.S.-Mexico border.

So, what does the National Guard do? Whatever is needed, wherever it is needed."

From what I have been told, You should expect to be deployed overseas. anytime there is a natural
        disaster disaster in your area there is a good chance you will be called up - floods, fires, snow, earthquakes, storms...
        Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

www.nationalguard.com
          www.goarmy.com
          Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Www.nationalguard.com
            Www.goarmy.com
            Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 06:01 AM.

Comment

" Q: Where will I serve?

A: Technically, it could be anywhere. Most likely, you'll attend drill at the armory nearest your hometown, and if called to action, remain in-state. However, in major emergencies, such as in Hurricane Katrina, you could be sent to another state to help. It's also possible you'll be deployed in support of combat operations, such as to the Middle East to assist in the War on Terrorism.

Learn more.

Q: When will I serve?

A: You'll train one weekend per month plus a two-week period each year. For most of the training weekends, you'll be with us Saturday and Sunday only, though occasionally you'll be asked to report for duty on a Friday night. In case of Active Duty, you will serve whenever you are needed and called."

Comment

Check out www.nationalguard.com for tons of information on the National Guard. Check out www.goarmy.com for tons of information on the regular army as well as reserves. If you want a full time job in the military I would suggest looking at the Regular Army. Unless deployed you aren't going to earn full time job pay.
                Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Deploynent means living on a base right? Is there any bases in california?

Comment

Deploynent means living on a base right? Is there any bases in california?
                    No deployment means being activated by your state's Governor - such as helping during a bad storm or being activated by The President and going to places troops are needed - usually a war zone or unstable area such as Afghanistan or other places overseas. You don't get to choose if you want to go or not and you don't get to choose where you want to go. These deployments are now nine months long. For those nine months you are away from your family, friends, regular job, etc.
                    I mean no offense by this but I suggest you do some serious research about the Guard because it seems like you don't have a solid understanding about it's purpose or the responsibilities of a Soldier in the Guard.
                    Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM.

Comment

www.nationalguard.com
                      www.goarmy.com
                      Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Basically you decide to enlist, you talk to a recruiter, you fill out paperwork, if you are found eligible you go to MEPS where you take the ASVAB test and extensive physical, if you pass them you pick your job (most cases) and you swear in. Eventually go go off to basic training and the you go to AIT which is where you learn your job. After AIT you go home and begin your one weekend a minth two weeks a year training. At some point during your enlistment you can expect to be deployed - Afghanistan, Iran, North Korea - who knows where we will be sending troops. But, you can pretty much bet on one - if notmore over seas deployments. If your state or states near you have a need for you (flood, huricane,etc), your unit will more then likely be called up to assist.
                        Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Is active duty the same as a deployment? Or how would you be on active duty in the guard?

Comment

Is active duty the same as a deployment? Or how would you be on active duty in the guard?
                            No they are not the same. generally active duty is the regular army. Active duty refers to the regular full time military - Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard not The Reserves or The National Guard which are considered part time.
                            Deployments are when you are sent away for a length of time like to Iraq or Afghanistan. Deployments happen with every branch of the military and with full time and part time forces. If you are in the reserves or guard you are considered called to active duty for your length of a deployment becauase you go from part time to full time during the length of your deployment.
                            If you want to serve part time you join the reserves or national guard with the knowledge that you will most likely do one or more deployment during your enlistment.
                            If you want a full time job where the military is your job you join the full time regular Army.
                            Active/Full Time/Regular Army means it's your profession and career. Your full-time job. National Guard means you have a civilian profession and career but are always ready if the nation needs you OR if there is a state emergency and your fellow citizens need you.
                            Last edited by robinpugs06; January 16th, 2012, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X