X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard to IRR; Prior Service

Hey guys, I've done Active duty for 6 years and had a remaining 2 years for inactive commitment so I chose NG. I added a year because I thought I would need more time for the reclassification to 68W, but plans have changed because my school load has became heavier to M-F and my units drill (not what I thought when I signed the contract) sometimes from Thurs-Sunday or Fri-Sunday.

My goals were to give myself completely 100% to college and to get into UCLA as a transfer for my undergraduates and to medical school after I have completed that. As you know, a very competitive GPA is needed for that and right now I am on the 9/11 GI Bill which has me on both semesters and summer session in school so I do not have time to go to 68W school at all.

I've spoken to my readiness NCO and they claim the best way is to transfer to an MP unit since my current MOS is 31B, but I know that the situation will not change and they are only getting rid of me simply because I am taking a E-5 slot and Non-MOSQ at the moment. So an MP unit (always in the field) will essentially be the same and I asked if maybe there would be a way to just go IRR and deal with a deployment and come back and continue rather then see my grades/GPA suffer while juggling NG drills. They claim that will NOT happen.

So I ran out of options and I am wondering what can I do because I feel that I have done my service for 6 years active and just want to go to college and fulfill my goals but the chain of command will not work around my schedule nor release me to IRR and possibly get picked up by a Reserve unit that does only Sat-Sun (still impeding but way better then thurs-Sun) which would help alot but not completely.

I've also been advised by my retention NCO at Fort Lewis, Wa to write a letter to my unit but I am not sure who should be reading it and if it's a good idea.

Guys, I am running out of options and it's not that I don't want to serve obviously, but I just want to do college 110% as that is what I gave when I was active duty. Any ideas or am I totally screwed?

Re: National Guard to IRR; Prior Service

Bump. tttttttt

Comment

Working...
    X