Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem shipping

Hi all,
    I enlisted in the Alabama National Guard on Oct 27. During my enlistment process I was laid off from my job and continued to look for a job for about a month after my enlistment. I am set to ship to BCT on January 9th. A really good job that I interviewed for has decided to hire me. Here is the problem. If I ship out I will not have a job when I come back. Is there anyway to postpone my ship date for a while? I really want to be in the guard, but I also have to think about my family when I return. I called my recruiter and told him about it, but he says there is nothing that can be done. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Problem shipping

Originally posted by Southpaw1982 View Post
    Hi all,
    I enlisted in the Alabama National Guard on Oct 27. During my enlistment process I was laid off from my job and continued to look for a job for about a month after my enlistment. I am set to ship to BCT on January 9th. A really good job that I interviewed for has decided to hire me. Here is the problem. If I ship out I will not have a job when I come back. Is there anyway to postpone my ship date for a while? I really want to be in the guard, but I also have to think about my family when I return. I called my recruiter and told him about it, but he says there is nothing that can be done. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Federal Law staes they have to hold your job for you. Did you mean they won't hire you if you tell thme you are leaving for training?

Comment

No they will not hire me if I am to leave for training before work begins. I really need to postpone shipping for a couple of months. My recruiter has been 100% awesome throughout the entire enlistment process thus far, but he just told me nope there is nothing we can do to push it back. I am not saying that I don't believe him, but I am pretty sure I can postpone it. Who would be the person to contact, other than my recruiter?

Comment

No they will not hire me if I am to leave for training before work begins. I really need to postpone shipping for a couple of months. My recruiter has been 100% awesome throughout the entire enlistment process thus far, but he just told me nope there is nothing we can do to push it back. I am not saying that I don't believe him, but I am pretty sure I can postpone it. Who would be the person to contact, other than my recruiter?
        Legally if they have already hired you, they must hold that job. I recommend getting the job offer in writing. Then leave for training.

Comment

They can't discriminate against hiring you even before military service, can they?

Like, I interview for a job and tell them that I might be leaving for Astan in 4 months...can they legally say no to me based off that information?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
            They can't discriminate against hiring you even before military service, can they?

Like, I interview for a job and tell them that I might be leaving for Astan in 4 months...can they legally say no to me based off that information?
            No, technically they cannot. They are supposed to make their hiring decision without that being a derogatory factor. However, I would keep that to myself if I was you.

Comment

I doubt the offer will come by the time I am due to ship. Is there any procedure for postponing a ship date?

Comment

I doubt the offer will come by the time I am due to ship. Is there any procedure for postponing a ship date?
                What is your background? Elaborate on the job please. If this is an unskilled job; I will drive on to go to BCT and AIT. While in AIT start sending out resumes (e.g. monster.com). But the other good option is to get hired and leave. Don't mention you are leaving for training. Budget your money wisely.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

The job is in the engineering department at a manufacturing plant. If I get hired before my scheduled ship date I will leave as planned and deal with them when I return. However I am not scheduled to go to AIT after basic and don't know when I will even go. My biggest concern is that, while they can't fire me for leaving, they certainly will not like it and I will undoubtedly draw negative attention. I live in Alabama and they can fire you for any reason they want to as it is a right to work state.

Comment

Ship date won't be postponed at this point. You're in a tough spot though, even though your job can't fire you for this, chances are good they'll just find another reason to let you go. It's the sad reality of things.

Comment

Just an update. It looks as though I will be able to get my ship date postponed. I must say that the Alabama National Guard really looked out for me in this instance. I thought I was going to have to choose between the guard or a job, but they really came through for me. Thanks to everyone that posted for your advice and insight.

Comment

Working...
                      X