X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you defer Drill?

Hello, just like the title says, I am pursuing a career with federal law enforcement. My question is, if I am selected to head to FLETC for 10 weeks, can I defer my drill time till a later date? Or am I required to fly home? I am not yet in the guard (hopefully in the next two months). However, while I am at FLECT for 10 weeks, I will be owned by the instructors and my agency. Is there a waiver or am I stuck? Its tricky with law enforcement

Re: Can you defer Drill?

If you haven't joined yet, why don't you just wait until after completing your training to join.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
      If you haven't joined yet, why don't you just wait until after completing your training to join.
      My same thoughts. Are you prior service or new? Also, it appears you have not yet been selected as a federal law enforcement candidate so sounds like you are trying to pursue alot of paths at the same time. I went to my academy when I was out of the service. So I suggest you focus on one at a time.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; January 2nd, 2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the OP hasn't been hired by the Fed Gov't yet. Good luck. It is a long process to get hired for pretty much every Federal Law Enforcement Agency so in my opinion it would be best to do the process for both sooner rather then later.

Comment

You should also know, that some Federal LE agencies do not allow reserve component membership. Most do, but some dont. Just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Hello, I am currently a PO. I am also 27. I would like to serve and deploy, before the 2014 cut off date, for the draw down in Afghanistan. There is an MP Unit in my state, that is low on MP's and since they deploy pretty often, seems like the best fit for me. The reason I asked about defering drill is because after I complete my 6 year enlistment, I will be 33 years old. The cut off for federal service is 35. Also, most federal agencies hire infrequently and the span between recruitment drives is on average 3-4 years. A federal agency that I am looking at, will be conducting a hiring drive in late 2013. So with FLETC, I will be unable to attend drill for 2-3 months. I know the guard is friendly for state/municipal LE. I know a few guys that are very active in the guard as MP's. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by tomatoe View Post
              Hello, I am currently a PO. I am also 27. I would like to serve and deploy, before the 2014 cut off date, for the draw down in Afghanistan. There is an MP Unit in my state, that is low on MP's and since they deploy pretty often, seems like the best fit for me. The reason I asked about defering drill is because after I complete my 6 year enlistment, I will be 33 years old. The cut off for federal service is 35. Also, most federal agencies hire infrequently and the span between recruitment drives is on average 3-4 years. A federal agency that I am looking at, will be conducting a hiring drive in late 2013. So with FLETC, I will be unable to attend drill for 2-3 months. I know the guard is friendly for state/municipal LE. I know a few guys that are very active in the guard as MP's. Thanks for the help.
              Most units are pretty good about working with you on civilian employment conflicts. I knew a guy in the guar who was also an ATF Agent and his schedule was pretty crazy. Understand that even if you joined today, you have a long pipeline of training to complete before you would be eligible to deploy..and in all reality in the timeline that you project, deploying may not be feasible. (by 2014 that is). Thats not to say there wont be oppurtunity to deploy after 2014, however it would just be significantly less.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                You should also know, that some Federal LE agencies do not allow reserve component membership. Most do, but some dont. Just something to keep in mind.
                Which ones do not?

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  Which ones do not?
                  I can't speak for all the angencies and answer that intelligently. However, the FBI used to prevent Special Agent applicants from being in the reserves during their hiring processes. I can't say if that is still the case, I did know some who had exceptions. Basically, there is a type of emergency essential excepted service type category of people who cannot hold that status by agency policy/federal law. I'm not an expert, I just know it exists. I am fairly certain that you cannot be in the reserves and a DSS Special Special agent ebcuase of the Department of State diplomatic immunity conflicts and so fourth.

Its just food for thought, that thi is a special occupation and carries some special restrictions.

Comment

Yes you can STA drill, make it up in advance. If it works best for everyone you could probably split it some before and some after. They also have the authority to disapprove the STA. Units should brief incoming Soldiers on their STA policy, as it differs unit to unit. I would have a strong case in hand before approaching your chain of command for approval, even having it prepared in writing for why it is a good idea for you to be able to miss scheduled drill.

Comment

I can't speak for all the angencies and answer that intelligently. However, the FBI used to prevent Special Agent applicants from being in the reserves during their hiring processes. I can't say if that is still the case, I did know some who had exceptions. Basically, there is a type of emergency essential excepted service type category of people who cannot hold that status by agency policy/federal law. I'm not an expert, I just know it exists. I am fairly certain that you cannot be in the reserves and a DSS Special Special agent ebcuase of the Department of State diplomatic immunity conflicts and so fourth.

Its just food for thought, that thi is a special occupation and carries some special restrictions.
                      True. I believe it would be difficult (in other words, not possible) to be going through the FBI Academy as well as an drilling reservist at the same exact time.

However, I know a DSS Special Agent that is a 1LT in the NJ ARNG. He never mentioned the issue of diplomatic immunity as a issue. Rather the traveling he does vs. the training schedule of his unit. Fortunately he has a BN CDR that is very understanding and he does actually do many SUTAs. He's in an S-shop.

Comment

Most units are pretty good about working with you on civilian employment conflicts. I knew a guy in the guar who was also an ATF Agent and his schedule was pretty crazy. Understand that even if you joined today, you have a long pipeline of training to complete before you would be eligible to deploy..and in all reality in the timeline that you project, deploying may not be feasible. (by 2014 that is). Thats not to say there wont be oppurtunity to deploy after 2014, however it would just be significantly less.
                        Interesting, I was told that once my OSUT was completed, and as long as the state signed off on it, I would be eligible for deployments. I would have about 8 months in the guard once that was completed (red,white, phase, then 20 weeks of OSUT). I would barely squeak in, if I could find a unit to deploy with.

Obama, has not been too clear on the 2014 draw down date. He has simply stated that combat operations would cease in 2014. I would assume, it would be the same as in Iraq, where support operations were still being conducted until a determined withdrawl date.

Comment

Working...
                        X