Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference Between Enlisted & Officer Life in The Guard

Hello,

I'm wondering what are some of the main difference between the duties of an enlisted solider and commissioned officer. does the officer only drill once a month? does the officer hold a full time position in the guard? how about benefits? is it possible to get deployed sooner as a officer then enlisted? thanks.

Re: Difference Between Enlisted & Officer Life in The Guard

MONEY!! That's the big difference. If you become an O-3 (Captain) you may become a Company Commander and be full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee, S. View Post
      If you become an O-3 (Captain) you may become a Company Commander and be full time.
      Most of the FTM positions in the Guard are in the enlisted grades.

Comment

I'm not sure why this thread is being brought up from May 2011, but I will chime in.

There are a lot more differences than just money between enlisted and officers. It is possible for both officers and enlisted to drill just once a month, and it's possible that either can hold a full time Guard job. However, more often as an officer you have more responsibilities between drills no matter what rank of officer. As a junior officer there is still a lot that I have to do between drills just to keep up with the job and prepare for the next drill and the one after that. Whereas junior enlisted have almost nothing to do between drills. Senior enlisted its a different story, they are spending time between drills doing reviews, prepping for the next drill and more.

When it comes to benefits, does the OP mean like health insurance or school benefits or pay. Or is it more about intangibles? More info is needed before a good answer can be given to this question.

As for deployments, I don't think it matters either way between an officer and an enlisted. Either way you will deploy with your unit. It may be different if you are trying to do an individual MOB, but I don't know for sure on that one.

Comment

Working...
        X