X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGR/Technician Board Outline for those who are curious...

Alot of Soldiers ask how easy it is to get a fulltime job in the Guard, and I'm bored here at work lol. so here is a basic outline of what needs to be done, the rest is up to you:

Phase 1(Finding it)- Go to http://www.neguard.com/HRO/otherjobs-linkspage.asp, find your state link and go to it.

Phase 2(Applying for it)- Find positions that fit your rank and MOS(and MOS immaterial as well), and APPLY with a FULL PACKET. Keep in mind that even if you don't know all of the KSA's, apply anyway, you can always learn and be taught. If it says include both a 612 and a resume, do that. If ANYTHING is missing, you will be turned away and won't make it to the interview phase.

Phase 3(Interview)- After your application is submitted you will get a reciept and be sent on your way. After that, the vacany announcement will close on the date it states, then you will get a call to set up an interview. They will tell you where to be and when to be there. BE EARLY, and be in a DRESS UNIFORM. I don't care if you don't think you need to be in one, do it. It sets a mental standard that you are there to impress. Sit straight up in the chair and answer all the questions clearly, no um or like. Always ask a question at the end(I like to ask what I can improve on for future reference), and thank them for their time.
    NOTE from RSP NCO-Study before the interview! Look up regulations, manuals, and anything you can about the systems you will be using and people you will be dealing with. If you know someone within the unit, talk to them. It does 2 things for you, helps you learn more about the job to impress them, and people talk! It can get to the interviewers that you were asking questions and really interested, and you can be surprised what that does for your draft stock

Phas 4(Waiting and final Verdict)- You will leave the interview and then you will wait. After some time you will get a letter in the mail if you didn't get it, or a call and letter if you did.

Don't be bummed if you didn't get it, keep applying. This isn't a one and done sport, you need to continuously apply. It's a numbers game, just like the civilian world.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HUNTING guys. Post questions if you need them, others can chime in if I forgot anything or for good advice. I'm sure SteveLord and RSP and LRSU have good addons(Not saying others don't! Just the names that came to mind!)

Other sites to help for fulltime positions:
    Its been posted before but here it is again- https://mobcop.army.mil/tod/default_new.aspx#
    Gko is also a great too for deployment and the title 10 positions at NGB and other locations like Ft. Benning, etc.- https://gko.ngb.army.mil/Login/welcome.aspx - must sign in with CaC card
    Last edited by EOrsini; April 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM. Reason: Add RSP NCO's advice/ Adding other good sites for employment

Re: AGR/Technician Board Outline for those who are curious...

How does Title 10 AGR/Technician process work? Is it the same similar process to what you stated above? Like at the National Guard Bureau.
    Last edited by MichaelPC; April 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
      Always ask a question at the end
      I like to ask them, "When will my start date be?"

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
      Don't be bummed if you didn't get it, keep applying. This isn't a one and done sport, you need to continuously apply. It's a numbers game, just like the civilian world.
      This is a BIG key, these positions can be very competitive, and if it is your first, then it may take a couple boards for you to really get it right. Don't give up, I know people that applied for 15 positions before they finally got an AGR job.

Another big thing to do is to research like crazy the position before you go into the interview. The more you already know about that particular unit and that job, the more impressive you will be to them. I'd even advise contacting someone in the unit prior to interviewing to ask questions you may have about the unit or position.

Comment

Excellent post, Sir. AGR can be a sweet gig, from everything I've heard, so it's good to have some advice.

Comment

The big difference with technician positions, is that the boards will weigh any civilian experience as well. And since they pay off the federal scale...so you have to earn that.

Comment

Wait, that's how it's supposed to go?

Also, (RSP NCO, you'll get a kick out of this), never ask one of the recorders who is friends with your boss (I was in Iraq, doing a phone interview) during the interview if he doesn't mind picking us up from the airport when we land. It doesn't set well with the President of the Board... something about "not an appropriate question to ask during an interview" or something.

Needless to say, I am AGR.

Comment

Good stuff everyone. *Stickied*

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelPC View Post
                How does Title 10 AGR/Technician process work? Is it the same similar process to what you stated above? Like at the National Guard Bureau.
                Yes, they are all basically the same. Even the positions on the MOBCOP tour of duty site, you will apply and they will call for interviews if they find you as one of the top applicants. Only difference is that if you apply for an AGR/technician job in your state(at least in NJ), you MUST be interviewed if you meet all of the requirements. On the MOBCOP site, you may be fully qualified, but they don't have to call you if they don't feel you are one of the best candidates.

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                I like to ask them, "When will my start date be?"
                lol! I wish. Although my initial question would be "When I start monday, the first raise is tuesday correct?" lol
                Last edited by EOrsini; April 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Not all boards require Dress Uniform (Since you will have a DA Photo). I would ask about the uniform, the recorder (the soldier that usually does the calling) will know the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
                    Not all boards require Dress Uniform (Since you will have a DA Photo). I would ask about the uniform, the recorder (the soldier that usually does the calling) will know the information.
                    Yea, I went to one that was in ACU's. But they are rare. And we don't have a requirement for a DA photo till CPT, so a lot of guys still don't have them, me included at the moment. I have an appointment in a week finally.

Comment

Being a technician is a pretty sweet gig too. It can be a great move for your career, as a tech in a maintenance shop you get considered first for NET training and such. I've never heard of any full time job in my BN being boarded with dress uniform.

Comment

When you say apply with a full packet, you mean???

Comment

Working...
                        X