Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're newlyweds! But now he has to go to basic....

Hello everyone! First time post! My brand new husband is army national guard. He joined when he was 27. We got married a week ago and he ships our for basic on July 15th, rotten luck. Has anyone else had this experience? How did you cope while he/she was at basic? My plan is to stay BUSY and gets lots done on our house. I am VERY new to the military and am learning a lot. Spouses, how has your experience been so far in your marriage? Thanks!

Re: We're newlyweds! But now he has to go to basic....

I got married 10 days before shipping off. Set him up with lots of stamps and envelopes with your home address already on it. As soon you get his writing address (may take 2-3 weeks) then send him lots of letters. Share his address with his other family and friends. Mail call is like Christmas.

Comment

I was a newlywed with a newborn when I shipped. Write LOTS of letters. 1 a day is what my wife did. Leave anything negative out of them. Send pictures.

Comment

Your husband's unit has some sort of Family Readiness Group, which is a voluntary association of Soldiers' families. Get involved with them, because they can explain a great deal of the confusion that you will inevitably have. Not all FRGs are as helpful as others, but it's a place to start. Plug in as much as you can, and his activities won't seem as mysterious.

Comment

Quite a few of the training battalions have Facebook pages. Hopefully there will be one where your husband will be and you see what's going on with his platoon. It varies but updates can be daily and pictures posted weekly of the soldiers training. You may even see your hubby in a few of them! This helps to give a sense of connection when you write those letters.

This worked well for me when I was following a dear friend through their BCT experience at Fort Jackson.
          Last edited by bai78; July 7th, 2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            Your husband's unit has some sort of Family Readiness Group, which is a voluntary association of Soldiers' families. Get involved with them, because they can explain a great deal of the confusion that you will inevitably have. Not all FRGs are as helpful as others, but it's a place to start. Plug in as much as you can, and his activities won't seem as mysterious.
            +1. But realize Reagan, that Basic and AIT is a dream compared to deployments. I been deployed three times and with exercise rotations and other military schools; that put me out of my house for over 4 years. My wife was an NG spouse before an AD spouse and she will tell you that both are totally different but to remain involved with the unit's activities and volunteer if you like (you are not obligated). Enjoy.

Comment

I was expecting when my husband went to basic. I sent a TON of letters! That means the world to them. I got to talk to my husband on the phone 2 times the whole time he was there! I cried my eyes out both times (probably hormones, lol). I told myself the same thing I'll stay super busy that way I won't be so bummed. It worked for me somewhat. The time will pass by before you even know it. I downloaded one of those silly countdown apps to my phone and I would also write it on all my letters 20 days until I see you etc.. My husband went to Basic in North Carolina and all the BCT groups had their own facebook pages. Every Saturday they would post pictures of each group. I would count down the days until Saturday and luckily I would spot my hubby almost every week so definitely check for that.

Comment

Working...
              X