X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have no clue

Hello! I received my husbands DD214 from the Army, said Honorable Discharge, and a NGB Form 22 from the National Guard... Can someone please tell me what uncharacterized means on a discharge form? Also has RE3. Are these items bad?

Re: Have no clue

Uncharacteristized is a Entry Level Separation. Basically it's not good or bad. RE stands for Re-entry Code. There are RE1, RE2, RE3, and RE4....and the closer you get to RE4 the less likely you are to ever get back into the Army.

Nothing bad just he probably will never get back into the military. If he does try it will require a waiver.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 6th, 2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Would he still be able to purchase and use a firearm? Or does this take away his rights?

Comment

Yes, he can purchase a firearm. He has not lost any rights because technically he is not a veteran...and doesn't ever have to tell anyone he was in the military. As long as it does not say dishonorable. Uncharacterized means he was not in the Army long enough to prove his service honorable or dishonorable, or other than honorable.

How long was he in the Guard?

There are three letters called SPD Code what does it say in that block?
        Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 6th, 2013, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Thank you for helping!!!!

Comment

Since 2007...mandifine...since 2007. How long was he in the guard for? And if you see the SPD codes you can look those up on about.com and see why he was discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
              Yes, have can purchase a firearm. He has not lost any rights because technically he is not a veteran...and doesn't ever have to tell anyone he was in the military. As long as it does not say dishonorable. Uncharacterized means he was not in the Army long enough to prove his service honorable or dishonorable, or other than honorable.

How long was he in the Guard?

There are three letters called SPD Code what does it say in that block?
              It may not be relevant to her questions but just for GP, it doesn't work that way. A dishonorable discharge will loose you a right to posses a firearm, however there is also a bad conduct discharge. Both of those discharges must be determined at a courts martial, in other words they come with a criminal conviction. One must also look at what you were convicted of as that charge alone (even in theory of being separated with honorable) can cause you to lose gun rights.

The admin separation characterizations are uncharacterized, honorable, general, and other than honorable. These can be issued administratvely by a commander and not as a result of a criminal conviction.

Comment

Bad advice since 2007, ParalegalNCO1 aka Mr.Incognito or WOQ......again thank you for the correction.
                Last edited by Chaplain4me; March 7th, 2013, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Not sure what that is (SPD Code) and he was in for 2 years and 15 days

Comment

At the bottom it says uncharacterized and has a RE3... We know why he was discharged but cant figure out the uncharacterized part, and the Army discharge form sayd Honorable. Also He was never convicted or anything like that.

Comment

Why did he just serve 2 years and 15 days? He was involuntary separated for what reason?

Comment

Was there transfer orders to The IRR Army Reerve? or just discharged and done?Look at Ng-22 form and check box 9 to see if tranfered to AR PERSCOM.

Comment

He was not transferred just discharged for drugs in his system/ failed drug test
                          Last edited by mandifine; March 6th, 2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Ok was the NG-22 form after the DD 214? Also if so what is the discharge on NG-22 box 23 authority and reason Box 24 character of Service?If the NG-22 form is after the DD-214 that is what employers go by so the Uncharacterized on the DD-214 would be from Boot Camp with not enough time in because less then 181 days on Active Duty.
                            Last edited by spcrock; March 6th, 2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Ah the good old popping hot.........I know how that goes.

My only question now is why have you come here to look for answers, when he should have told you what happen? Is everything okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X