X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG wife unsure of the differences?

I'm newly married to my SIT who is currently away at Basic. I have a few questions and concerns and I guess I'm just not sure where to go with them. My husband is Army Reserves National Guard with a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic MOS. We have spoken before about Active Duty and wrote it off, unsure if it was for us. Of course he's not home to discuss these things, but after talking to a friend who is married to an Airman I'm contemplating it all. Of course, I would support my husband whether he chooses to go Active Duty or not, but I am curious about the chance of deployment. Does it really change when going active duty? Is there less of a risk if he doesn't? I'm not even sure if my husband being deployed is a definite, really. Also, do they tend to ship soldiers out where family cannot join often? Is there somewhere anyone can direct me to in order to get more information on all of this? I would just like to know our options and understand what I need to be prepared for should my Soldier come home wanting to go Active Duty.. Or if he doesn't and there's information I don't know. From my understanding, being NG he has the once-a-month weekend training and a once-a-year 2 week training and that's it. The idea of deployment wasn't even made a reality to me until today. Any help or information on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Originally posted by arose View Post
    I'm newly married to my SIT who is currently away at Basic. I have a few questions and concerns and I guess I'm just not sure where to go with them. My husband is Army Reserves National Guard with a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic MOS. We have spoken before about Active Duty and wrote it off, unsure if it was for us. Of course he's not home to discuss these things, but after talking to a friend who is married to an Airman I'm contemplating it all. Of course, I would support my husband whether he chooses to go Active Duty or not, but I am curious about the chance of deployment. Does it really change when going active duty? Is there less of a risk if he doesn't? I'm not even sure if my husband being deployed is a definite, really. Also, do they tend to ship soldiers out where family cannot join often? Is there somewhere anyone can direct me to in order to get more information on all of this? I would just like to know our options and understand what I need to be prepared for should my Soldier come home wanting to go Active Duty.. Or if he doesn't and there's information I don't know. From my understanding, being NG he has the once-a-month weekend training and a once-a-year 2 week training and that's it. The idea of deployment wasn't even made a reality to me until today. Any help or information on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
    Anyone in the military has a possibility of getting deployed, too include your Army National Guard (forget the word reserves) husband. You don't have much to worry about if he wants to go active duty, as it is next to impossible to get into as prior service, which he will be when he gets home.

Comment

• arose
      arose commented
      Editing a comment
      Why will it be so hard to go active duty once he finishes AIT?
      And just to be clear, deployment is in fact a solitary thing, as in spouses are unable to go with, correct?

• realitycheck
      realitycheck commented
      Editing a comment
      Because the army is significantly downsizing and they have strict recruiting rules on people who are prior service. If he wanted active duty, he should have enlisted for that instead of the National Guard...and yes to your second question. Deployment as in Afghanistan, Kuwait, or previously Iraq. No wifeys

Realitycheck is correct. When a person joins a component of the service; it is a lengthy process to try to switch services or components. I have been fortunate to switch on numerous occasions. I switched from Reserves to Guard. Then Guard to the Active Duty Marines. Then re-entered into the Guard and then switch to Active Duty Army. Granted, I did these changes after a couple of years in. When I went to the Marines, I was already serving in the Army Reserves/National Guard for four years. When I switched to Guard to Active Duty, I was in the Guard for already six years. Also, in 2003, the active Army needed increased manpower and it was not so hard to switch back then. Now, because the Army is reducing its ranks from 50,000 to 100,000 Soldiers; it will be very hard from someone who is in the Reserves or Guard to switch due to prior service rules. My suggestion is for him to serve some years in the Guard and then start talking to an Active Duty Army Recruiter for possibilities on switching.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Thank you both for your input, you've been very helpful. And thank you also for your service to our country!

Comment

Working...
      X