X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son being discharge for medical reasons

My son is in Basic Training and is being discharged for "medical reasons". I need to know what happens now when he gets home? Is there anything in the National Guard that can help him? Is he going to have a hard time getting a job with this on his application? Does he still receive health insurance? Can he ever try getting in again? Whatever info you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know if after discharged, the National Guard forgets about you or would they still help him?

Re: Son being discharge for medical reasons

The discharge won't be held against him for employment. As far as the rest of your questions, you really haven't posted enough info about his medical condition(s) to give you solid info.

Comment

Originally posted by cws View Post
      My son is in Basic Training and is being discharged for "medical reasons". I need to know what happens now when he gets home? Is there anything in the National Guard that can help him? Is he going to have a hard time getting a job with this on his application? Does he still receive health insurance? Can he ever try getting in again? Whatever info you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know if after discharged, the National Guard forgets about you or would they still help him?
      This greatly, and almost completely depends on if it is a medical condition they deem to have "existed prior to service" or a condition that has a "date of onset" while in basic training.

Answer that, they I can help more.

Comment

At first, I thought you were a Chief Warrant Officer 5 lol.

Many who are involuntary separated, honorably discharged, retired (medically/upon completing 20 years) feel that when you leave the service, its "don't let the door hit you on the way out" and when I left active duty the first time, it sure did.

But now and days, separated individuals are well briefed of their benefits (e.g. unemployment, insurance) and provided a packet that has a wealth of information when leaving the service. Your son will be ok and probably this is the best interest of all parties that he gets medically discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          At first, I thought you were a Chief Warrant Officer 5 lol.

Many who are involuntary separated, honorably discharged, retired (medically/upon completing 20 years) feel that when you leave the service, its "don't let the door hit you on the way out" and when I left active duty the first time, it sure did.

But now and days, separated individuals are well briefed of their benefits (e.g. unemployment, insurance) and provided a packet that has a wealth of information when leaving the service. Your son will be ok and probably this is the best interest of all parties that he gets medically discharged.
          Chief, the National Guard is NOTORIOUS for giving recruits an entry level separation for conditions that should run the path of a MEB. And, unfortunatley a new private wouldn't begin to know the differene.

Comment

I agree; especially when it comes to naive, young people. You do not know how many times I been told that they did not know this or that but when they got out all their documents; everything was spelled out there. Most do it to themselves because they do not take the time to read, research and ask.

Comment

Working...
            X