X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIT and holiday leave

Hopefully someone can help with a couple questions because I've spent hours online and still can't find a clear answer. My son is in BCT right now. When he reports for AIT, he'll be at a base that's actually only 15-20 minutes from our house. For Thanksgiving and Christmas, will he be able to stay at the house with us or will he have to remain on base? Also, are family members ever allowed on base to visit? Just wondering. It's one thing to be 1100 miles away during BCT; of course you won't see your family or friends at that distance, and it's not allowed anyway. But to be basically just around the corner during AIT and still not be able to grab a pizza once or twice?...I think that would be more difficult.
    Last edited by Elle4; September 1st, 2013, 03:57 AM. Reason: typos

Re: AIT and holiday leave

While every location and every company is somewhat different there is a good chance that at least some weekends your son will be given a pass, either on post or off post. During those times you would be able to visit with him, as long as the rules are followed. Even if he has free time during the week, I would not expect to be able to spend time with him then.

Comment

PALINATHAS, thanks for your reply. Sounds like passes/visits will just have to be played by ear.

Comment

Originally posted by PALINATHAS View Post
        While every location and every company is somewhat different there is a good chance that at least some weekends your son will be given a pass, either on post or off post. During those times you would be able to visit with him, as long as the rules are followed. Even if he has free time during the week, I would not expect to be able to spend time with him then.
        Elle4,
        That is awesome that his AIT location is close to home. Palinathas is correct in the fact that every location and company varies on their policies for weekend passes. Typically if it is a short AIT, then they are not afforded the opportunity. Also recruits are not typically allowed off base during the week. Your son will have to wait and find out what his abilities are and communicate that to you.
        Recruits attending AIT are usually given a day pass for Thanksgiving, but would not be able to spend the night at your home. He would be given a report time for accountability formation back at his company the evening of Thanksgiving.
        Recruits attending AIT during Christmas are afforded the opportunity to go home for "Christmas Exodus" which is roughly 2 weeks long (more or less depending on the current policy). This is when he can come home and stay until the holidays are over. Again he will be given a report time and day for accountability formation back at his company to resume training.
        I hope that this helps.

Comment

I went to AIT at Fort Eustis, back when I resided in Hampton, VA. I went home pretty much every weekend unless otherwise held back due to things going on at the unit. He may not immediately be let off post, but in the first couple weeks he should be able to earn the privledge. Until he is allowed off post, if you want to visit him you probably can do so as long as his cadre are fine with it(they generally are). From personal experience, make sure he is NEVER caught driving a POV. I did that, and it caused me some hell. But if he's smart(like I eventually became) you can drive virtually unnoticed as long as he stays away from his battle buddies during the weekend.

As far as holidays, most commands typically let everyone go since the cadre don't wanna be stuck there themselves. Right after I had got caught driving my Commander STILL let me go off post for Easter Vacation, because he didn't want any of his NCOs spending all day watching me sleep. Christmas Exodus of course is 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Elle4 View Post
            PALINATHAS, thanks for your reply. Sounds like passes/visits will just have to be played by ear.
            You are probably not going to post again but remember that Basic and AIT are Initial Active Entry Training for new Soldiers and the Army requires them to have the least amount of interruptions in their lives while they are learning the Army and their jobs. Once a person graduates from AIT; the restrictions are lessen, especially in the Reserve Components. Their freedom will return.

Comment

I spoke to recent grads & was advised that there are no more weekend passes in AIT. This was implemented this summer and will be the norm moving forward. Is this a TRADDOC thing or perhaps training site specific, I don't know. Either way just don't expect anything in terms of passes.

Comment

Working...
              X