X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honeymoon

Me and my husband just recently got married and he's in the national guard, we're going to renew our vows and have a more traditional wedding with our friends and family present this October, he wants to go on a long honeymoon to Paris, France and Athens, Greece. We plan to spend 3 weeks in each if we go. What I was wondering is how can we do this? Especially if he goes active. Does he have to request the leave either way or what?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
    Trista *****
    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 28th, 2013, 04:08 PM. Reason: EDIT

Re: Honeymoon

Originally posted by moore1991 View Post
    Me and my husband just recently got married and he's in the national guard, we're going to renew our vows and have a more traditional wedding with our friends and family present this October, he wants to go on a long honeymoon to Paris, France and Athens, Greece. We plan to spend 3 weeks in each if we go. What I was wondering is how can we do this? Especially if he goes active. Does he have to request the leave either way or what?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
    Trista Moore
    It's not clear what you're asking - try to rephrase your question.

A couple of ideas to consider - going on your trip between drills. If the trip may cause your husband to miss a drill weekend, he may want to start talking to his chain of command now. If he's in good standing with the unit, there's a reasonable chance he can be excused. What do you mean by "if he goes active?"

Comment

Active and Guard in regards to leave are two different animals. In the Guard, he does not request leave. I will just have him clear with his S2 that the countries he wants to visit are ok for military personnel.

If your honeymoon happens during a drill weekend; I will have him clear it with his unit/command.

Comment

This sounds like a 20,000 dollar honeymoon. Did this smart man marry a rich one?

Comment

He is currently in ait and gets out this October. He is only in drill status I believe is what it's called and he wants to go for active duty. What I need to know is, if he goes active will there be any chance he will be granted leave? what are the procedures in regards to this? I also need to know that if he doesn't go active, would he have to follow the same procedures as he would if he did make active duty?
          also, he wont be stationed at the base he is now when we leave for the trip, we don't know where he'll be then because it all depends on his status. I am just trying to get an idea on what needs to be done is all. And it's not really possible to go on the trip between drills since its going to be a 6-8 week vacation with everything he has planned.

Comment

He is currently in ait and gets out this October. He is only in drill status I believe is what it's called and he wants to go for active duty. What I need to know is, if he goes active will there be any chance he will be granted leave? what are the procedures in regards to this? I also need to know that if he doesn't go active, would he have to follow the same procedures as he would if he did make active duty?
            also, he wont be stationed at the base he is now when we leave for the trip, we don't know where he'll be then because it all depends on his status. I am just trying to get an idea on what needs to be done is all. And it's not really possible to go on the trip between drills since its going to be a 6-8 week vacation with everything he has planned.
            If he has to miss a drill it should really be no issue as long as its coordinated in advance. The chances of him transitioning over to the active duty component are literally slim to none. I would not be concernced with that as it is not a realistic issue you will face.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              Active and Guard in regards to leave are two different animals. In the Guard, he does not request leave. I will just have him clear with his S2 that the countries he wants to visit are ok for military personnel.

If your honeymoon happens during a drill weekend; I will have him clear it with his unit/command.
              Ok, thank you. That's what I really needed to know.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                If he has to miss a drill it should really be no issue as long as its coordinated in advance. The chances of him transitioning over to the active duty component are literally slim to none. I would not be concernced with that as it is not a realistic issue you will face.
                Him going active is very much a possibility. Quite a few of the men in his unit have gone active. They've all had to fight for it, but it was done without too much trouble. He's already talked to his sergeants about going active and the reality of it and they gave him the same advice they gave the others, that he'll have to work for it but it is a real possibility.

Comment

Him going active is very much a possibility. Quite a few of the men in his unit have gone active. They've all had to fight for it, but it was done without too much trouble. He's already talked to his sergeants about going active and the reality of it and they gave him the same advice they gave the others, that he'll have to work for it but it is a real possibility.

There is no "fighting for it". The active component (officially named the "Regular Army") either needs people to meet its numbers or it doesn't. Your husband will be considred prior service since he is already in a military component. Currently, and for the long forseeable future the regular army is taking less then .0001% of prior service applicants with strict rank, job, and time in service requirements. You can read about this on the Army's "Prior Service Business Rules" which are updated each month (usually getting even more restrictive). So that is awesome that his SGT's in the national guard gave him some advice, but quite frankly they probably don't have a clue what I am talking about. This board is flooded with people all the time asking the same question. The answer is, if you wanted to go active duty, you should have enlisted active duty. Why people enlist into the guard thinking it can just happen like that always mind boggles me. Yes many people have made the switch, most of them during the heat of the wars when the rules were different, or they had a very VERY tangible skill the army needed. The moral of the story, is it doesn't matter how much he fights for it. There is nothing to fight, until maybe year 2029 when they change the recruiting guidelines or we get into another major war.

It's pretty much a non existent possibility, unless he has the right MOS at the right time...thats all that matters.

That is all. Enjoy your honeymoon.
                  Last edited by realitycheck; August 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Article 15s and Chapters

Ok, so here's the thing, my husband is in the national guard doing his ait and a little over a month ago he was pulled from school and was told he was being chaptered out. However, he was never given any papers stating as to why he was being chaptered out. He was basically told that he was being kicked out because of the article 15s he had received before. They had him sign some paper work, all of which was bogus and was later all shredded in front of him. He then spent a week and a half being the sergeants' ***** boy. They then tried to put him back in school and push him back three classes even though he tested out of them once and even sat down the day before and tested out of them again. He got mad and walked out and spent the time since then once again running around for the sergeants and doing chores and such.

Now, we live a 1000 miles apart and I went up there to visit him for a week, we had spent the week before hand arguing because he wanted to go AWOL and spend the week with me. In the end, he did go AWOL because it was his choice and it was what he wanted to do. There wasn't anything legally that anyone on base could do unless they caught him outside in uniform unless he was gone for 30 days. They actually knew where he was and what he was doing. and the highest punishment he could receive was 45 days extra duty and half pay for a month. Then in a spur of the moment kind of thing, we got married before I had to leave. He was told by one of the army wives that his sergeant wasn't actually going to be chaptering him out and that he'd never filled out any of the paperwork for it to even get started, but since he went AWOL he would now be getting chaptered.

There are a total of four men in his unit all of which were being chaptered out including him. All four of which were being chaptered with heavier and numerous more offenses then my husband has. The Commander came back from leave and pushed through all of the chapters, two of the chapters have been dropped and one is active while the other is going to his home state. The fourth one is being chaptered out and is leaving within the next week. However, there has literally been nothing done with my husband's chapter. He has not been given any sort of papers stating he's being kicked out or why. All he has received is an article 15 that is currently pending and half pay for a month. There has literally been no mention of his chapter or anything, he actually just recently was approached by his sergeant about going active like he was originally pushing for and about going back in school.

I need advice on what on earth is going on, because something doesn't seem right to me, but I'm going off of what I've learned from my father who is ex-military.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.
                    Trista ***** PLEASE DO NOT POST PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
                    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM. Reason: EDIT

Comment

Re: Article 15s and Chapters

Sounds like he is wasting taxpayer dollars and should be discharged as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        Sounds like he is wasting taxpayer dollars and should be discharged as soon as possible.
                        Agreed. It would make the travel plans easier for the honeymoon.

Comment

"......Him going active is very much a possibility....." - From your "Honeymoon" thread.

HOW exactly do you see ^^ THIS ^^ as a possibility, based on the above???

Just curious.

Comment

Oh wow, good catch Chris MERGED THREADS

I either put this in "the extremely naive about what I am hearing about my hubby's current service" category or in the far right "troll" category. The posts just doesn't jive anymore.
                            Last edited by SF Hunter; August 28th, 2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I like this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X