Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son plans to enlist in Army National Guard

Good day -

I have a 17 year old son who is due to graduate with his HS Diploma from the Alaska Military Youth Academy next month. I have already signed paperwork giving consent for him to enlist in the Army National Guard. After we met with the recruiters to discuss his ASVAB Score (59, with the highest scoring in Intel and Engineering) - there were a few things they mentioned to me about how soon he would ship off to Basic Training and then plans for AIT.

I plan on flying to his graduation from Basic with the idea that it will be an expense of my own, but if he is in AIT during the Christmas holiday I was told that he would be able to come home for that time period. Is this something that is typically covered by the guard, or should I make plans to cover that on my own?

Thank you for your time!

J. Higgins

Re: Son plans to enlist in Army National Guard

From what I hear, traveling home for holidays comes out of your wallet.

Comment

The Guard pays for sending you there and bringing you back upon completion of training. Your son will be making more than enough money to pay for his plane tickets. His unit will have travel agents that will visit and assist soldiers in organizing that. Almost nobody stays back for Christmas Exodus.
      Last edited by SteveLord; July 26th, 2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I want to make sure I'm understanding you. Is this for completion of Basic Training or his AIT?

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Higgins View Post
          I want to make sure I'm understanding you. Is this for completion of Basic Training or his AIT?
          Both. If he is split training option, then the Army will pay for his travel to and from BCT and then AIT. If he is attending AIT, right after BCT (which is the typical scenario). The Army covers travel to BCT, then AIT (if at another location), then back home.

Comment

Ma'am,

Click this link.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini...cruiter9_2.htm

Christmas Exodus. During the two weeks around Christmas time, the Army pretty much shuts down basic training, and AIT schools. The Air Force and Navy do not shut down basic training, but do shut down many of their job schools (Tech Schools and A Schools). This period is known as "Christmas Exodus." Recruits are usually allow to go home on leave at this time, if they want, even if it results in going "in the hole" on their leave balance. Recruits who choose not to take leave at this time, are normally assigned to do details (answer phones, cut the grass, etc), because most of the instructors/drill sergeants will be away on leave, and classes are not conducted during this time. Usually (but not always) if a recruit takes leave during Christmas Exodus, that results in a negative leave balance, and they won't be authorized to take leave after school graduation (Note: For long schools, individuals may have had time to "save up" some more leave. They would normally be allowed to take that leave, after graduation, if they want). In most cases, the cost of travel is at the member's expense, while on leave. However, in the cases of Emergency Leave, while assigned/deployed overseas, or deployed at sea (Navy/Marines), the military will arrange free transportation back to the States. Once the individual arrives at the "port of entry," in the States, the cost of travel to their leave area is up to them. Once the leave is finished, the military will also arrange for free transportation from the "port" back to the overseas/sea duty assignment.

Comment

Working...
            X