X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my husband is joinging the ANG at age 31

MY husband is 31 years old and we have 3 children DD 8 DS 6 DS 2. He is at Meps right now as i type taking an asvab and getting ready for his physical... if he is able to join ( i don't know why he wouldn't be able to) i wanted to get him something special for after basic (after graduation) but i wasn't sure what the proper etiquette is. I was thinking of a shirt or bag that says something like army on it or would that not be right... I know there is a difference but he is at Army basic and army AIT..... also while he is in basic and then AIT i wanted to get our kids and myself some pro military gear to wear in support of daddy but all i can find as of now is Army things, would that be bad to get? i am finding conflicting answers on the internet... some say yes army others say no Guardsmen.... also we live in a town where there isn't an army base... what kind of support would i be able to find for myself and/or the kids?

Re: my husband is joinging the ANG at age 31

Talk to your husband's recruiter about your local National Guard Family Readiness Group (FRG), as well as other related resources. Plug into the other Guard families in his unit and in your area, so you can support each other. In addition, your recruiter likely has some t-shirts and related gear for you at no charge.

Comment

I have been Guard all of my Military career and my wife Displays both "Army" and Guard gear. She has the T-Shirts that we got from the recruiter and various events, but also she finds shirts and hats she likes at the variuos Bases I've been at for training. She wears it all proudly. If she is wearing an Army shirt and someone asks if she is prior service she says that her husband is currently serving in the Army NG. I think after 10 years of war the public has a better awareness that we are not just "Weekend Warriors".

I have t-shirts from several bases that I wear often. They all say Army on them. The training that I received at those basis wasn't "Guard" training, it was Army training. I also have Guard gear that I use regularly, not just because it is Guard gear, but because they make some darn useful gear that can really hold up well. As LTC Ritchie stated, your recruiter probably has some shirts or other gear that you can get for free, but you can also find a lot of stuff online for purchase at a reasonable price.

This is just my opinion on it, but I asked around as well when I first joined and it seemed to be the consensus.

Comment

This is a nice shirt

http://www.spreadshirt.com/proud-nat...-C3376A6914686

Comment

We're all components of the Army branch. Reserve and Guard all wear the US ARMY nametape for that reason.

Comment

Thank you all SOOO much!!!! you have deff answered my question!! here's another question for ya my husband is looking into the engineering side of the NG he would be operating the heavy machinery like the bull dozers and things like that... i think it is 12 N? ( i could be wrong on the number and letter) we are so new to this how long would his basic and AIT be can after graduation and the first few weeks of AIT can he get or make phone calls or does that really depend on his instructor? Thank you so much for all the answers

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
              Thank you all SOOO much!!!! you have deff answered my question!! here's another question for ya my husband is looking into the engineering side of the NG he would be operating the heavy machinery like the bull dozers and things like that... i think it is 12 N? ( i could be wrong on the number and letter) we are so new to this how long would his basic and AIT be can after graduation and the first few weeks of AIT can he get or make phone calls or does that really depend on his instructor? Thank you so much for all the answers
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y84_FBKb3k

Comment

As you may already know, Basic is approxi 11wks. During this time expect that he will get to call and say he arrived and then another call approx 10 wks later to tell you about graduations. Any other calls on top of that are a bonus. Some get to call weekly, others never get to call at all.

The 12N MOS (Horizontal Engineer) is approx 10wks long. Time away from home is dependent on class start dates and any hold over time that may exist between the end of Basic and the start of AIT. As for when he will be able to make calls regularly, someone with more experience may be able to chime in, but from what I have heard it is very dependent on the chain of command as to what privileges he will have and when he will earn them.

Comment

Thank you HE Is officially sworn in and leaving in the fall for his basic then AIT he will have a 2 week break around Christmas so that is nice to have him home for that

Comment

Working...
                  X