X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents concerned with deployment

I'm 18 just finished my freshman year of college. I have very much made my decision to join the Iowa NG. Although they know they aren't going to stop me, my whole family and girlfriend are completely against it. I tried to use the "they pay for college" excuse to help them accept it, although that's not why I'm doing this. I want to be a part of something great and help my country. Anyone have any ideas to help sway them? I'd rather not be on bad terms with my parents when I join.

P.S. Already had them talk to my recruiter but they're still not having it.

Re: Family against me

Originally posted by Brandon712 View Post
    I'm 18 just finished my freshman year of college. I have very much made my decision to join the Iowa NG. Although they know they aren't going to stop me, my whole family and girlfriend are completely against it. I tried to use the "they pay for college" excuse to help them accept it, although that's not why I'm doing this. I want to be a part of something great and help my country. Anyone have any ideas to help sway them? I'd rather not be on bad terms with my parents when I join.

P.S. Already had them talk to my recruiter but they're still not having it.
    Parents just need to be educated. They just don't understand what it actually means to serve. Most think it is instant saving private ryan type combat....and we all know that isn't the case.

Comment

This one is really on you. You know your family & gf better than anyone else.

Obviously you want your family's support and you'll find that after you've joined they'll be proud of your decision. They'll be the ones at your graduation taking pics and posting them all over Facebook. Seen it plenty of times.

You're the only one that has to live with your life decisions, not them.

Comment

Duplicate.
        Last edited by NYGuardRecruiter; May 9th, 2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Fighting emotion with logic doesn't always work quickly, but it can work eventually. Ensure that you do not raise the emotional stakes, because drama is a cannibalistic emotion -- it feeds on itself. Starve the drama by keeping yourself calm, low-key, and focused.

Comment

Thank you all for your comments ill be showing these to the family. Another question I have is for anyone who's been deployed. What can I expect? This is another sore subject for my parents. I'm thinking of either human intel or engineer as my MOS

Comment

Parents concerned with deployment

Already decided on joining Iowa NG. They know they can't stop me but I'm trying to sway my parents to be okay with my choice as I don't want to be on bad terms with them. The question I have is for anyone who's been deployed. I'm ready and excited for it, but what can I expect? This is a sore subject for my parents.

I'm thinking of either human intel or engineer as my MOS.

P.S. I want to show this thread to them so please comment only if you've been deployed!

Comment

Re: Parents concerned with deployment

Can you keep the family issue in the same thread as "family against me" please?

Comment

Sorry, I'm new to this I posed this question in that thread and thought starting a new one would be easier

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon712 View Post
                    Sorry, I'm new to this I posed this question in that thread and thought starting a new one would be easier
                    You just going to upset the moderators who police this forum. Now, I joined the service at 17 years old and my single-parent mother signed for me. This was in the 80s when there were small conflicts called Grenada and Beirut.

You are 18 and an adult now. There will be decisions that you make in life that family and friends would not agree with it but the bottom line is that it is your life. The LTC in the last thread gave great advice.

Yes, serving in the military could be very dangerous and during most times; it is not. The benefits that you receive from serving your country is nearly incomparable in other professions.

In your case, deployment is way off and possibly improbable. Millions have deployed and it was a life-changing experience that nobody else who has not, cannot understand. Yes, the potential to die, get maimed or injured is possible but the numbers are small compared to incidents that occur everyday in the United States.

Bottom line is do what makes you happy.

Comment

A million thanks soldier!

Comment

Threads merged.

Feel free to PM me. I am in Iowa and not far from Camp Dodge. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X